Thermal Engineer Lead
Location:San Jose, California, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Hardware
Technology InterestCloud and Data Center, Networking
What You'll Do
In this role, you will have the opportunity to work in the platform engineering mechanical team at San Jose, CA. The mechanical & thermal team is an integrated part of the HW organization, responsible for varieties of complex electro-mechanical designs, which include but are not limited to networking products (product ranges from 1RU to 40RU sizes), high-performance thermal solutions, and complex PCB assemblies. Needed to tackle the challenges of high-power ASIC’s, next generation cooling, and high-density optical transceivers.
The job involves working on current and next-generation mechanical designs of telecom systems. We are looking for you who strive in a dynamic environment. You will be part of a dedicated team, open communications, empowerment, innovation, teamwork, and customer success are the foundations of the team
- Deliver mechanical and physics-based modeling, simulation, and analysis of thermal designs and concerns
- Collaborate with mechanical engineers, and other cross-functional teams to identify risks, strategically create simulations, plan and conduct validation testing, and deliver objective, data-driven solutions
- Provide board and/or system-level cooling guidance/solutions (eg, heat sinks, fan, etc) using feedback from thermal simulations
· Tackle the challenges of high-power ASIC’s, next-generation cooling, and high-density optical transceivers.
- Manage or perform thermal testing (including airflow, acoustic, thermocouple testing, modules, and/or platform level validations) on designs.
- Thermal debugging, system optimization, and documentation
- Create simulations reports, test plans, and test reports in professional formats
- Collaborate and work with the cross-functional teams for board layout design review and placement approval.
- Schedule and manage peer and cross-functional team reviews of your designs.
- Demonstrate a high degree of originality and innovation in defining product and project-level architecture.
- Interfaces multi-functionally and leads team collaboration extending beyond the workgroup.
- Ability to communicate thermal solutions at executive level and influence the outcome.
- Drive consistent thermal methodologies, deliverables, and documentation across Business Unit.
Who You'll Work With
You will be working very closely with the rest of the Mechanical/Thermal group. Cross-functionally with HW Engineering, Product Management/Marketing, Product Ops team, Global Supplier Management (GSM), External Vendors/Suppliers, Mfg Ops, and EMS/JDM partners.
Who You Are
- MSME or most likely Ph.D. in Mechanical, Thermal Engineering, or equivalent
- Relevant experience in the thermal design of telecom equipment is preferred.
· Technological leader for liquid-cooled systems in the telecom space, pizza box to rack level
- We expect the candidate to have more than 15 years experience on thermal design of telecom equipment or equivalent and that this has given the candidate a thorough and deep understanding of the cooling of electronics.
- Broad knowledge in design constraints associated with fans, PCB layout, and heatsink design.
- Experience using a data-driven approach to analyze problems and deliver robust, optimized solutions
- Experience with designing, building, and testing thermal prototypes to validate the analysis
- Expertise with common CFD analysis tools in conjunction with the dissemination of results clearly to inter-disciplinary team members
- Familiarity with PTC's Creo based design tools a plus.
- For this position, we value understanding of the platform, concept & product portfolio’ discussions that take place during the initial phases of a product lifecycle.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment under aggressive schedules.
· Provide functional or technical oversight to the team and act as an advisor to colleagues.
- Excellent verbal skills and professional presentations.
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!