Software Engineer V | Talos
Location:Fulton, Maryland, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Are you interested in solving dynamic cybersecurity problems? Are you passionate about building systems to handle tons of data that is constantly growing? Come join Cisco’s Talos Research & Intelligence organization as we develop and innovate critical software pieces of our security backend systems.
Who we are
Talos Backend Software DevOps organization plays a pivotal role in providing critical security intelligence, data, and tools to both the research teams and Cisco security email, web, and firewall products to protect our enterprise customers from cyberattacks.
What you'll do
You will be part of a new DevOps team who is responsible for a portfolio of software applications in the security backend to both innovate and maintain these mission critical systems. Project delivery requires alignment to effective delivery processes, specifically Cisco Agile. You are required to collaborate with a wide-range of multi-functional teams, both within and outside the organization to cover program management, architecture, infrastructure, deployment, and support during all phases of the software application life cycle.
- You are experienced in providing technical leadership to solve business problems.
- You have 12+ years of product development and delivery, with expertise in security, embedded and application programming, networking, databases, large data sets and performance optimization.
- You have strong communication skills to proactively represent the team in meetings, write a detailed functional spec, give a tech talk to other specialists, present a high-level product plan to executives, and report project status to managers.
- You are passionate about winning over the bad guys.
- You get a rush from taming and analyzing millions of email and web transactions a day.
- You look at the big-picture and are able to turn ideas into demos, demos into shippable products, and data into efficacy.
- You are comfortable with early- and late-phase software development, from concept to execution and performance optimization
- You take hands-on ownership of your products from top to bottom: architecture, design, development, documentation, test, deployment, and operations.
- You have a proven track record of delivering high-performing, maintainable, enterprise-quality software on schedule.
- You have the discernment to know when you need a rocket ship and when you need a bicycle, and the organizational skills to plan and deliver either one.
- You are team oriented and will enthusiastically unite diverse teams across the globe to tackle complex problems effectively.
- You can provide mentorship, motivation, and vision to senior engineers.
Technical Qualifications & Experience
- Python and Java programming skills a requirement
- C/C++ would be beneficial
- ActiveMQ/RabbitMQ/Big Data/Hadoop/MapR a requirement
- Strong in Linux and FreeBSD environments
- MySQL is a required
- Elastic Search, Lucene, and other search technologies are a huge plus
- Cloud, Email and Web security experience a huge plus
- Experience with Agile/Scrum/Kanban development
- At least a BS/BA in a technical field (CS/CE ideal). MS or PhD preferred
Role & Responsibilities
- Working in a multi-functional team (Dev, QA, Ops), you will be a hands-on senior-level development engineering leader and drive, design, develop, and administer cutting-edge cloud security products.
- You will be one of the technical owners for the design and architecture of the next generation backend intelligence systems to deliver security intelligence to Cisco security platforms
- Build backend security services for Cisco platforms such as web & email security appliances and cloud services, firewall, and next-generation backend intelligence systems.
- Design storage, retrieval and analysis of big data.
- Define the web and email security technology roadmap and influence its adoption among various teams within Cisco.
- Ensure that each of our internal products follows strict security standards (threat modeling, vulnerability analysis, etc.).
- Collaborate with global technology teams to integrate a diverse collection of security tools into a comprehensive security solution.
- Provide technical leadership representing Backend development organization and work with teams of bold, motivated, and innovative engineers. Help perpetuate a culture of innovation, execution, and excellence.
At Cisco, each person brings their unique talents to work as a team and make a difference.
Yes, our technology changes the way the world works, lives, plays and learns, but our edge comes from our people.
- We connect everything – people, process, data and things – and we use those connections to change our world for the better.
- We innovate everywhere - From launching a new era of networking that adapts, learns and protects, to building Cisco Services that accelerate businesses and business results. Our technology powers entertainment, retail, healthcare, education and more – from Smart Cities to your everyday devices.
- We benefit everyone - We do all of this while striving for a culture that empowers every person to be the difference, at work and in our communities.
Colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Be you, with us! #WeAreCisco