Technical Leader, Software CNS
Location:Offsite, San Francisco, California, US
Alternate LocationUS/Canada Remote
Area of InterestEngineer - Network
Technology InterestCloud and Data Center, Networking
The Cloud Infrastructure Engineering team at Cisco drives the technology that's transforming the way product teams secure their networks, and more importantly, their users. At its core, the Cloud Infrastructure team provides Infrastructure as a Service for engineering in dozens of our edge data centers. As a Software Engineer, you will be a key member of the Network Engineering team, which is responsible for the design, development, and operation of the network that engineering relies upon to deliver solutions to our customers. This is a small team that does big things.
What You'll Do
You will be part of the team focused on measuring, analyzing and improving end-user network experience. This team’s goal is to provide the best possible network experience for users of our network. To provide the best experience, we must first measure the network experience and analyze it.
As a Software Engineer in our Network Experience team, you will
- Contribute to the platform which is the source of data for performance monitoring
- Be creative in integrating various sources of data to better understand end-user’s experience.
- Build dashboards that visualize network experience, and associated analytics
- Collaborate with internal partner teams on developing new features to build the best end-user network performance measurement platform.
- Be a standout colleague who enjoys collaborating with, learning from, mentoring, and teaching other team members to support a positive work environment.
Who You'll Work With
The members of the Network Engineering team build and operate core network services for the CIE platform. We are a team that is supportive of learning and experimentation. Our customers are other engineers in the organization, who we value above all else. We pride ourselves in helping them succeed by providing them with solutions that meet their needs. We work closely with the rest of the Infrastructure Engineering teams to build core Internet infrastructure, security applications and distributed systems at scale.
We are looking for an experienced engineer with strong understanding of building and managing real-time data infrastructure for performance monitoring. Meaningful requirements include
- 4+ years of experience developing highly scalable distributed data platforms and services
- Experience with/knowledge of IP networking
- Software and product development experience, preferably in cloud computing or distributed systems on Linux and UNIX based systems
- Proficiency in a programming language such as Python, or Golang and a solid base in data structures and algorithms
It is a huge plus if you have prior experience with some of the following
- Telemetry, analytics, or performance monitoring especially with respect to networking.
- Networking technologies such as BGP, Traceroute, DNS.
- Snowflake, Graphite, Prometheus or equivalent technologies.
- Building dashboards in Tableau, Grafana or equivalent technologies.
Our interview process:
One of the aspects of job searching that’s always nerve-wracking is the interview process. To help reduce that stress, our process is fairly straightforward and we aim to be as transparent as possible with it. The process generally is as follows:
· Screening call with a Cisco recruiter
· 30-minute call with the hiring manager
· 4 hours of interviews with the team remotely
· 1 coding exercise
We Are Cisco
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!