Technical Leader - Data Platform
Location:Offsite, Denver, Colorado, US
Area of InterestSecurity
Technology InterestCloud and Data Center, Security
The Business Entity
Cisco Cloud Security Group is at the forefront of developing cloud-delivered security needs and challenges of our customers. With an annual revenue exceeding $200M, it is one of the fastest growing businesses at Cisco. As Cisco is redefining its business model enthusiastically to a software and recurring revenue model, our cloud security business is leading this journey with 100%+ YoY growth in software recurring revenue.
We have a highly scalable cloud infrastructure spread across 25 data centers where we run applications that operate at hyperscale - 100B+ requests per day from 65M daily active users.
Who You Are
You have extensive experience building and scaling data infrastructures from the ground up. You are aware of, and stay on top of, industry standard methodologies and you’ve optimally established relationships with engineering teams based on collaboration, understanding, and the pursuit of excellence.
- 6+ years of related experience passionate about crafting and building data intensive applications
- Deep expertise in the Kafka eco-system including Kafka Core, and the Schema Registry.
- Experienced in handling analytical workloads running on technologies like Redshift, Clickhouse or Athena
- Validated experience for developing scalable data services and applications preferably in Go.
- Extensive experience with managing and building services on cloud infrastructure, preferably AWS.
- Experience wrangling container-based infrastructure and orchestration.
- A deep understanding of distributed systems (scaling issues, resiliency, integrity) to include algorithms, data structures, data stores, and the use of database systems in these environments
What You’ll Do
- Craft, implement, and maintain services and applications that are part of Cisco Umbrella's reporting data platform
- Participate in a globally distributed team of engineers that uses the cloud platforms to deliver services
- Collaborate with engineering and product teams across the organization to build data products and reports.
- Lead adoption of standard methodologies for building and scaling data pipelines and data lakes.
- Coaching and mentoring junior engineers
We don’t expect you to know all these technologies, and we’re hoping for you to push us forward to better technologies where useful
- Java/Go for data processing and event driven services
- AWS services like S3, EC2 etc.
- Kafka eco-system.
- IaaC tools like Terraform and ansible.
- Clickhouse/Redshift/Athena for analytical workloads
- Apache-Spark for microbatch processing or Apache Flink for stream processing of data streams
We connect everything: people, processes, data, and things. We innovate everywhere, taking bold risks to craft the technologies that give us smart cities, connected cars, and handheld hospitals. And we do it in style with outstanding personalities who aren't afraid to change the way the world works, lives, plays, and learns.
Why Cisco Cloud Security
Cisco Cloud Security enables you to securely embrace the cloud and better manage security for the way the world works today. It protects users against threats anywhere they access the internet and secures your data and applications in the cloud. You can also use the cloud to improve security through simplified policy management and complex threat intelligence. With Cisco Cloud Security, you gain complete insight into internet activity across cloud applications, all office locations, and roaming devices, plus faster threat detection and response. Cisco Cloud Security provides an effective security platform that is open, automated, and simple to use. And it’s backed by industry-leading threat information delivered by the Cisco Talos security intelligence and research group.
We Are Cisco!
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.
Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
The health and safety of Cisco's employees, customers, and partners is a top priority. Our goal is to protect and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 infection for strong business resiliency during the pandemic. Therefore, Cisco may require new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if the role requires business-related travel, meeting with customers/partners (including visiting third-party sites on behalf of Cisco), attending trade events, and Cisco office entry, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law, and in countries where COVID-19 vaccination is legally required. The company will consider legally required accommodations/exceptions for medical, religious, and other reasons as per the requirements of the role and in accordance with applicable law. Additional information will be provided to candidates about the requirements and accommodation process at the offer time based on region.