Manager, Engineer - Cloud Infrastructure Engineering
Location:Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Additional Location(s)San Francisco, CA USA, Waltham, MA USA
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestCloud and Data Center, Security
Systems Software Engineer - Cloud Infrastructure Engineering
Who we are
The Cloud Infrastructure Engineering team at Cisco drives the technology that's transforming the way IT departments secure their networks, and more importantly, their users.
As an infrastructure engineer, you will be a key member of a network engineering VPN team responsible for the design, development, and operation of a highly available global cloud-based VPN service at scale. This is a small team that does big things. We operate in dozens of data centers globally and are constantly expanding to offer greater services and more effectively deliver solutions to our customers.
Who You'll Work With
This full stack engineering team is a mix of engineers who have come from network, systems, and software engineering roles and experiences.
We work closely with other Cisco Security product engineering teams developing customer facing security services, and with the Cloud Infrastructure Engineering teams building core Internet infrastructure and distributed systems to help deliver the services globally more effectively and efficiently at scale.
The team invests heavily on continual improvement in automation and optimization. Everything needs to scale horizontally and autonomously with stability, resiliency at a high performance with the flexibility to adapt. We take great pride in building and operating one of the most hyperconnected and highly optimized global Anycast networks in the world.
● You have 3 or more years of relevant work experience.
● You enjoy working in a multi-functional team that owns the entire stack, thrive in an agile environment and happy to teach/learn from your teammates.
● You enjoy solving problems at scale and working on services used by millions of customers every day from around the world.
● You are interested in coming up with innovative solutions for complicated problems, and passionate about finding ways to do things better.
● You know your way around Linux, built or deployed applications using cloud technologies (AWS, Google Cloud, Docker) and able to diagnose complex systems and applications.
● You enjoy coding in a variety of languages (C, Python, Golang...) to build applications , implement automation, integration and/or optimization features and functionality.
● You have DevOps experience, understand CI/CD and how to build cloud-based services at scale, and passionate about automation.
● You have good foundational knowledge in networking and are familiar with various VPN technologies and protocols
Some of the things you will work on
● Design, build and operate highly available, global cloud-based VPN service at scale
● Develop solutions for networking and orchestration problems with availability, scale and latency in mind
● Collaborate with software and infrastructure engineering teams to design solutions to enable them
● Learn the ins and outs of supporting a platform running 24x7
● Design, build and improve CI/CD pipelines
● Fine-tune configuration and improve the performance of a variety of systems alongside with your team members
● Clear verbal and written communications
● Very strong Linux experience
● Software Development and Coding with languages such as C/C++, Python, Golang
● Experience with Continuous Integration tools like Jenkins or Concourse
● Experience working with modern configuration management tools such as Puppet and Ansible.
● Experience with VPN related protocols (IPSec, IKE, AH, ESP, SSL VPN...).
● Experience and strong knowledge of networking fundamentals (OSI model, routing, switching, firewalls, TCP/IP, UDP)
● Cloud operations experience with a SaaS product in a large scale 24x7 production environment.
● Experience and understanding of containerized production deployments. (Docker, Kubernetes)
● Experience with AWS technologies such as EC2, S3 ,Lambda, Terraform...
● Knowledge of Virtual Machines, Hypervisor technology and virtualized networking (e.g. KVM, OpenStack, VXLAN, vSwitch, DPDK, SR-IOV,VPP)
● Strong Software Development experience in Golang, C or Python
● Test-Driven Software Development
Our interview process:
We understand. Job searching can be challenging, and an interview process can seem intimidating. Rest assured that our process is fairly straightforward and we aim to be as transparent as possible with it. The process is as follows:
● 30-minute call with the hiring manager
● 4 hours of interviews with the team on-site or remotely
● 1 awesome coding assignment
We connect everything: people, processes, data, and things. We innovate everywhere, taking bold risks to shape the technologies that give us smart cities, connected cars, and handheld hospitals. And we do it in style with unique personalities who aren’t afraid to change the way the world works, lives, plays and learns.
We are thought leaders, tech geeks, pop culture aficionados, and we even have a few purple haired rock stars. We celebrate the creativity and diversity that fuels our innovation. We are dreamers and we are doers.
We Are Cisco.