Technical Consulting Engineer
Location:RTP, North Carolina, US
Area of InterestInformation Technology
What You'll Do
The Technical Services Organization at Cisco is a team of world-class technical experts whose main focus is to help customers deploy and operate their networks effectively while delivering the best possible customer experience. Cisco's Technical Assistance Center (TAC) is aligned to multiple geographic regions that together form one global, borderless TAC. Cisco TAC is the first to be confronted by challenges and issues with new equipment and tools in the field. Revered by many as the "best networking school" in the world, roles in the TAC have a technology runway that never ends. The breadth and diversity of technology exposure is second to none; and comes with the territory when you are keeping the world's networks humming!
Remote, Richardson, TX/RTP, Central/Eastern U.S. Time Zone locations
Role & Responsibilities
- Provide level 3 technical support for Cisco Catalyst Switching products
- Analyze, configure and solve layer-2 / layer-3 enterprise switched networks
- Build moderate-to-complex lab setups to duplicate and solve customer problems
- Develop and deliver technical training's to global delivery partners and other TAC teams
- Work with software engineering to improve product quality by filing software defects and testing fixes
Who You'll Work With
The HTTS Enterprise Switching Team provides third level technical support on a global basis via phone, email, web and remote access for Catalyst Switching products to Cisco customers, partners and other TAC teams. In this role you will gain insight on the detailed functionality of Cisco Catalyst Switching products and partner with all distributed elements of engineering and the service chain. The ideal candidate demonstrates a proficiency and appetite for learning complex network technologies in a dynamic and fast paced environment.
Who You Are
Our minimum requirements for this role:
- BS/BA degree required
- 4+ years related experience
- 2+ years related experience of layer-2 / layer-3 protocols and technologies including:
- VLANs and VTP
Span / rspan
- Prior technical support experience (e.g. customer support, help desk) troubleshooting network or application performance issues
- Ability to debug broad, complex outstanding network topologies with mixed media protocols.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Hands-on experience with Cisco Catalyst Switches (9200, 9500, 9600, 6800, 6500, C4500, C3850/3650)
- Cisco Express Forwarding (CEF)
- Hands on experience using network sniffers and troubleshooting tools such as traffic generators (Ixia, Spirent, Colasoft),
- Customer Support experience is preferred
- Cisco Certifications: CCNP
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!
The health and safety of Cisco's employees, customers, and partners is a top priority. Our goal is to protect and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 infection for strong business resiliency during the pandemic. Therefore, Cisco may require new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if the role requires business-related travel, meeting with customers/partners (including visiting third-party sites on behalf of Cisco), attending trade events, and Cisco office entry, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law, and in countries where COVID-19 vaccination is legally required. The company will consider legally required accommodations/exceptions for medical, religious, and other reasons as per the requirements of the role and in accordance with applicable law. Additional information will be provided to candidates about the requirements and accommodation process at the offer time based on region.