Technical Consulting Engineer 1380361
Location:RTP, North Carolina, US
Area of InterestCustomer Experience
Why you'll love Cisco
We change the World, we are passionate about our employer and the brand we represent. Everything is converging on the Internet, making networked connections more meaningful than ever before in our lives. Our employees' groundbreaking ideas impact everything. Here, that means we take creative ideas from the drawing board to dynamic solutions that have real world impact. You'll be part a team that cares about its customers, enjoys having fun, and you'll take part in changing the lives of those in our local communities. Come prepared to be encouraged and inspired.
What You'll Do
- You will be part of Cisco's Technical Services team of technical authorities whose #1 focus is to help customers deploy and operate their networks effectively while delivering the best possible customer experience. Our success is validated through excellent financial results, increasing customer satisfaction metrics, industry recognition, and employee satisfaction scores.
- You will be part of Cisco's Enterprise Routing & Switching technology team consists of the industry's leading minds, developing and deploying today's most sophisticated Internet technologies. You'll gain insight on the detailed functionality of Cisco products and partners with all distributed elements of the service chain.
Who You'll Work With
The Global Technical Center, Americas provides both premium and highly technical support to customers in the Americas Region. Through collaborative tools, Intellectual Capital and world-class technical expertise, we deliver hardware and software solutions to our most critical customers. As hybrid cloud enables more choice in consumption models and addresses real business outcomes on top of infrastructure availability needs, the technical experts in GTC Americas are also evolving - to customer-centric, software-knowledgeable innovators, leveraging scripting, software and traditional network engineering troubleshooting methodologies.
Who You Are
- You will provide 2nd/3rd level technical support for Enterprise Routing & Switching technologies to Cisco customers, partners, account teams, and other Technical Assistance Center engineers
- You can apply your analytical skills and technical knowledge to take on product and network problems of moderate to high complexity.
- You will also provide technology/product training and intellectual property material as required
- You'll act as focal point for large account network problem resolution.
Cisco Services strives to bring value for Cisco customers by providing outcomes that solve key business problems. We do this through a focus on driving growth in our current portfolio while investing in new business models that create lasting differentiation for Customers, Partners, Employees and Shareholders.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical support for Cisco Enterprise Routing & Switching products to Cisco customers, partners, account teams, and other internal technical support teams.
- Handle a wide variety of technical support problems—from simple application or network configuration fixes to extremely sophisticated troubleshooting and problem resolution.
- Apply moderate to sophisticated lab setups to recreate and solve problems.
- Submit complete and correct defect reports with collaboration and supervision.
- Work with minimal direction and exercise judgment within defined procedures to determine appropriate action.
- Collaborate with other TAC engineers across technology boundaries to help drive quicker resolution where multiple technologies may be involved.
You have practical knowledge of the networking industry, products and protocols. Some level of experience is preferred in at least two of the following network security products, protocols, and solutions:
Bachelor’s degree and/or 3-6 years equivalent experience in related fields.
- Excellent time management, written & verbal communication skills and can present/communicate ideas effectively across different audiences, such as Sales, Customers, or Engineering.
- Leverages software skills and tools to configure, deploy and/or solve Cisco products and solution
- Ability to drive customer satisfaction and take ownership for customer success.
- Produces and shares intellectual capital (including documentation and training) within technology and adjacent areas for internal audiences, Global Delivery Partners, and customers.
- Contributes in the development of digital intellectual capital (e.g. scripts, digital signatures).
- Has sophisticated knowledge of global customer issues and can think about and recognize impacts at a large scale
- Can Design, Build and utilize sophisticated lab setups across multiple technologies to duplicate and resolve problems, including use of traffic generators.
- Recognizes and submits bugs with all required related information. Mentors others to file bugs.
- Understands all fields within a defect and actively works to improve readability for others.
- Work with engineering to improve product quality by filing software defects or enhancements and testing fixes
- Submits effective escalations with Engineering teams.
- Frequently assists other TCEs and Global Delivery Partners with problem resolution.
- Mentors and develops more junior TCEs and Global Delivery Partners.
- Active CCNP (or higher) Enterprise Certification desired
- Expert in at least one of the following Layer 2 Protocols with a broad knowledge of those remaining - STP, VTP, LACP, PAGP, IGMP, ARP, VSS, and QoS
- Expert in at least one of the following Layer 3 Protocols with a broad knowledge of those remaining - OSPF, EIGRP, BGP, PBR, VRF, PIM, MPLS, IWAN and VXLAN
- Sophisticated Knowledge of WireShark and is able to analyze traffic flows to properly root cause network and/or application issue
- Competent user of Windows/MacOS and Microsoft Office Suite and the most commonly used Cisco tools and procedures.
- Is an expert in at least one platform architecture, with broad knowledge of other platforms and software architectures they support.
- Has site level impacts potentially spanning multiple teams. Thinks beyond just problem resolution and leverages automation or other methods to advance outcomes.
- Effectively collaborates across technology silos to drive customer success and builds cross-technology knowledge.
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!
The health and safety of Cisco's employees, customers, and partners is a top priority. Our goal is to protect and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 infection for strong business resiliency during the pandemic. Therefore, Cisco may require new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if the role requires business-related travel, meeting with customers/partners (including visiting third-party sites on behalf of Cisco), attending trade events, and Cisco office entry, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law, and in countries where COVID-19 vaccination is legally required. The company will consider legally required accommodations/exceptions for medical, religious, and other reasons as per the requirements of the role and in accordance with applicable law. Additional information will be provided to candidates about the requirements and accommodation process at the offer time based on region.