Tactical Operations - Network Engineer
Location:San Jose, California, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Network
Who You’ll Work With
Cisco’s Tactical Operations (TacOps) is a highly skilled and dedicated team that deploys personnel and equipment in the acute phase of a crisis in which normal communications infrastructure has been degraded, destroyed or perhaps, never existed to begin with. Trained to work in challenging environments, the team responds with a variety of satellite-based communications equipment to provide secure IP-based voice, video, and data services to support response agencies and the public.
TacOps’ four main focus areas are:
- Corporate Social Responsibility / Emergency Response: Humanitarian relief efforts, crisis / disaster deployments, giving back to the community
- Industry Influence and Thought Leadership: External marketing / customer / partner events, speaking engagements, strategic partnerships, working groups
- Business Enablement: Customer briefings, marketing events, consulting, Cisco account team / partner / integrator support, business development
- Internal Support: Cisco business unit support, Cisco-internal events and engagements
What You’ll Do
The Network Engineer assists the team with delivering technologies, solutions, and services customers need to expertly manage their networks. Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Ensuring operational readiness of equipment and personnel
- Coverage of 24/7 engineer on-call duties on a rotational basis
- Participating in domestic and international crisis incident responses, deploying communications solutions in potentially austere conditions
- Hardware installation and maintenance
- Designing, building, and testing of prototypes and new solutions
- Analysis and diagnosis of networking issues in complex systems
- Network and solution documentation
- Providing technical consulting to Cisco account teams, customers, and partners
- Working with business units to understand and use technologies and roadmaps
- Working with a multitude of public and private sector partners
- Presenting to a wide variety of internal and external audiences
You should also be willing and able to travel up to 25% of the year; and deploy globally for a crisis on short notice for up to 2 – 3 weeks at a time.
Who You Are
You will have a good working knowledge of network equipment, topologies, routing and switching, and in particular, Cisco technologies and solutions; and are a creative problem solver with the following:
- A real passion for helping others in times of need
- Strong working knowledge of Cisco IOS and Meraki routing / switching
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work with global multi-functional teams
- Great attention to detail, with a passion for operational excellence and continuous improvement
- Ability to produce high quality work and solve difficult problems under pressure of deadlines, rapidly changing environments, and physically and mentally challenging crisis situations
- Ability to perform physically strenuous activities such as lifting heavy equipment, and willingness get your hands dirty operating vehicles, equipment and tools
- Ability and willingness to live and work in austere environments for up to 2 – 3 weeks at a time
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical or computer engineering, or equivalent industry-relevant experience
- Strong troubleshooting skills with limited resources
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good working knowledge Microsoft Office and other publication tools
- You hold a valid driver’s license and submit to a Department / Division of Motor Vehicles driving record check.
The following are not required, but are helpful:
- Military, public safety, humanitarian and / or Cisco DIRT experience
- Hands-on experience building or repairing electronic and/or mechanical devices
- Cisco networking certifications (e.g. CCNA, CCNP) or formal Cisco networking training in progress
- Networks Security (including ASA, SourceFire, Umbrella, IDS/IPS)
- Network Automation / Management
- Software Development / Programming experience (Python, web development frameworks, network programmability)
- Wireless networking
- IP Telephony
- Linux and Windows desktop / server system administration
- Satellite communications
- Land Mobile Radio, Amateur radio
- Current First Aid / CPR certification
At Cisco, each person brings their unique talents to work as a team and make a difference. Yes, our technology changes the way the world works, lives, plays and learns, but our edge comes from our people.
We connect everything securely– people, process, data and things – and we use those connections to change our world for the better.
We innovate everywhere- from launching a new era of networking that adapts, learns and protects, to building Cisco Services that accelerate businesses and business results. Our technology powers entertainment, retail, healthcare, education and more – from Smart Cities to your everyday devices.
We benefit everyone- We do all of this while striving for a culture that empowers every person to be the difference, at work and in our communities.Colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Be you, with us! #WeAreCisco
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.
Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.