Sr. Software Engineer
Location:San Jose, California, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestSoftware Development, Testing
What You'll Do
You’re deeply motivated Software Engineer who can make a difference in the team with their out of box thinking and you will be part of world-class Software engineering team that works on various ground breaking technologies in Enterprise Switches and Routers connecting to Cloud applications. Opportunity to work with leading edge networking technologies in the areas of Virtualization and Container Application Hosting for Fog Computing.
- Extremely motivated, passionate about learning and contributing to the team and the business with "can do" attitude.
- Knowledge of virtualization/container technology. (Docker is added advantage)
- Commitment to Quality: Ability to ensure and commit to a higher standard of quality than usual in the face of time to market pressures.
- Strong OS fundamentals and networking concepts is necessary.
- Hands on experience in VM and Container networking configuration is preferred.
- Experience in creating and maintaining root file systems for Containers is a plus point.
- Participate on a project team of engineers involved in the development of software for our next generation Network operating systems.
- Define, Architect, design, and deliver new software and features for the Enterprise platforms.
- Day to day activities will involve creating new features, understanding features in a competitive product and proposing solutions that work for our platform, writing functional and design specifications, programming, unit and integration testing your code, helping review specifications and code for other software engineers in the team, helping documentation team with the configuration aspects of your feature.
Who You'll Work With
The Enterprise Networking Business (ENB) Cisco's largest business group by revenue, profit, and contribution margin of $12 bn+. Enterprise edge products that integrate industry-leading routing, application services, security, and voice/video features with new technologies such as virtualization, 4G mobile data, cloud-based IT applications, DNA, Switching, Routing and WAN. Customers range from small businesses to the world's largest retailers, financial institutions, and IT service providers. Our customers likely include your bank, apparel retailer, grocery store, superstore, and maybe even your favorite coffee shop. Driving innovation and increased customer value has enabled Cisco Enterprise Routing to maintain market share leadership in a competitive environment.
Who You AreMinimum qualification
- Typically requires MSEE/CS combined with 3-8 years of related experience, or BSEE/CS combined with 5-10+ yrs related experience.
- You are motivated, driven and a teammate. You'll be willing to learn and be passionate about working on a wide range of product areas. You work well independently and as part of a team. Strong communication skills are meaningful.
- Strong design/programming ethic. Knowledge of designing large-scale systems in Python/C/Java environments is helpful.
- You have a strong background in software development including specification, implementation and testing.
- Experience in programming in C/C++ language.
- Experience configuring and automating the deployment of MPLS based VPNs (MVPN, L3VPN, L2VPN) is strongly desired.
From a technical point of view you should have some familiarity with at least some of these areas:
- Linux platform development
- Virtualization technologies (KVM would be a plus)
- Server platform development
- Driver development
- Kernel development
- Routing protocols
- Hardware bring up
- Self-motivated, strong sense of ownership, good teammate
- You're able to handle multiple tasks at once and work independently with minimal managerial guidance.
- Experience working in Docker or other container technology.
- Be open to continuous learning and committed to ongoing self-improvement.
- Initiate and participate in organizational efforts to improve overall group productivity and test effectiveness. Contribute to overall test strategies.
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!