Sr. Software Engineer SP&R - Kenna Security
Location:Chicago, Illinois, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Kenna Security, now part of Cisco, is revolutionizing cyber risk with a SaaS-based platform that uses data science to combine vulnerability data with exploit intelligence to measure risk, predict attacks and prioritize remediation. We are leading the way in helping enterprises reduce their risk while increasing their efficiency and preventing attacks. Kenna Security was recently named one of the top 10 hottest start-ups and named to the Inc. 500 fastest-growing companies list.
We’re looking for an engineer to jump into developing new and improving existing features with an eye towards a well-tested, secure, and performant product. If you’re comfortable in working within a highly autonomous, agile, and iterative software development process; Kenna might be the fit for you!
This position gives you the opportunity to contribute to the maintenance, expansion, and scale of the platform. Engineers are expected to take ownership of technical problems, craft solutions to complex problems, and craft code that meets our internal standards for maintainability and quality. Our applications are widely used across the industry and your work will be used by millions of people every month.
You have 5+ years of experience writing quality software similar to our stack. You have experience participating in code reviews and providing feedback to help maintain the quality of the codebase and mentor those around you.
There are a lot of security companies out there, but no one is doing what Kenna is doing: giving our customers the ability to measure their risk landscape and truly protect their environments from the ever-present threat of a breach. As a result, we’re seeing outstanding growth as some of the top companies in the world flock to our platform
What are some of the interesting problems you'll be working on:
- Planning, designing, and building full-stack software primarily in Ruby & React.
- Data modeling and querying at scale with MySQL, Elasticsearch, and Redis. Extra credit if you have exposure to GCP and Big Query as well.
- Improving the performance and scalability of our API.
- Pragmatic technical decision-making to ensure we're delivering high-quality software as quickly as possible.
- Breaking apart a large application into smaller services
- Constructing user interfaces that allow customers to effectively interact with data at scale
- Ensure test coverage by writing automated tests to help hoist code quality.
- Collaboratively working with QA engineers and design to ensure high-quality feature releases.
What does it take to work at Kenna, a Cisco Company:
- BS in CS, CE, or related field preferred OR equivalent experience
- Experience working in small teams with a great deal of autonomy. Points for the remote experience!
- Previous medium/growth company experience is nice to have as you’re likely comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience with some or all of our existing stack: Ruby, Rails, MySQL, Elasticsearch.
- Significant experience with dynamic languages, agile methodologies, test-driven development, and distributed systems.
- Experience communicating with partners and customers in the lifecycle of a technology product or project.
- A yearning to learn, collaborate and teach other Engineers. Everyone is both teacher and student regardless of how long they’ve been in the industry.
- Expertise in a particular area but recognize how you and your code fit into the bigger picture
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns, and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and make the difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world-changing? Be you, with us!