Sr. Optical Engineer - Acacia
Location:Maynard, Massachusetts, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Hardware
Compensation Range109500 USD - 214100 USD
Technology InterestCloud and Data Center
Acacia’s optical systems group is looking for an expert in optical communications with great lab skills and interest in the hands?on development of our ultra-high speed coherent transceivers.
Acacia, now part of Cisco, provides innovative silicon-based high speed optical interconnect products to accelerate network scalability through advancements in performance, capacity, and cost. Our DSP ASICs, silicon photonic PICs and coherent modules empower cloud and service providers to meet the fast-growing demand for data. We have assembled a team of cross?functional experts capable of solving the challenges of next generation optical interconnects, resulting in industry-leading, award-winning products.
Come join us at Cisco, named the #1 world’s best workplaces, and do purposeful work that makes a global impact and gives back to a company culture that empowers an inclusive future for all. Why You’ll Love Cisco We change the World, you will become passionate about your employer and the brand you represent. Everything is converging on the Internet, making networked connections more meaningful than ever before in our lives. Our employees' groundbreaking ideas impact everything. Here, that means we take creative ideas from the drawing board to dynamic solutions that have real world impact.
You'll collaborate with Cisco leaders, partner with mentors, and develop incredible relationships with colleagues who share your interest in connecting the unconnected. You'll be part a team that cares about its customers, enjoys having fun, and you'll take part in changing the lives of those in our local communities. Come prepared to be encouraged and inspired.
What You'll Do:
Your primary responsibilities will include transceiver bring-up, development of calibration procedures used in engineering and manufacturing, debugging and production yield improvement, performance optimization involving optics, high speed electronics and Acacia’s sophisticated DSP ASICs, as well as the final design verification testing (DVT) of our products. Depending on your interest and experience, you may also own or participate in design of subsystems providing e.g. performance monitoring functionality or optical amplification, or contribute to our digital signal processing development. You will work closely with our colleagues in the HW, SW, DSP, Silicon Photonics, and Operations groups providing a phenomenal opportunity to gain a lot of knowledge in multiple areas. Other responsibilities include:
- Improving performance optimization, and design verification testing of coherent transceivers
- Designing subsystems such as optical amplifiers and modulator control loops, and/or contribute to our digital signal processing development
- Optimize DSP parameter of ASIC designed for the most advanced coherent optical communications
- Collaborate with photonics integrated circuit team to produce the most compact pluggable coherent optical modules
- Design and implement coherent optical modules
- Advise on efforts of evaluation of fiber nonlinear penalty in the transmission systems and its mitigation method
- Provide accurate and cost-effective calibration of coherent transceivers and its transfer to Operations
- Drive debugging activities to improve product yield and to shorten time to successful field deployment
- Collaborate with colleagues in the HW, SW, DSP, and Operations groups Who You Are
- Candidates with a Masters or PhD in physics or electrical engineering would be ideal for this role
- Experience with measurements, concepts, and equipment for characterization of optical communications systems such as: BER measurements, WDM transmission measurements, OSNR, dispersion, PMD, optical spectrum analyzers, and real-time and sampling oscilloscopes
- Hands on experience with bring-up, debugging, calibration, and design verification testing of (coherent) transceiver line cards or modules
- A solid understanding of transceiver HW, FW, and SW
- Deep understanding on optical amplifier and dense wavelength division multiplexing (DWDM) systems/networks
- Ability to construct and run optical recirculating loop test bed
- Full automation of test equipment and coherent transceivers
- Proven knowledge on coherent transmitter/receiver architecture, QAM modulation, coherent reception, digital signal processing, RF electronics such as oscillators and high-speed amplifiers, and lab automation
#WeAreCisco. We are all unique, but collectively we bring our talents to work as a team, to develop innovative technology and power a more inclusive, digital future for everyone. How do we do it? Well, for starters – with people like you!
Nearly every internet connection around the world touches Cisco. We’re the Internet’s optimists. Our technology makes sure the data travelling at light speed across connections does so securely, yet it’s not what we make but what we make happen which marks us out. We’re helping those who work in the health service to connect with patients and each other; schools, colleges and universities to teach in even the most challenging of times. We’re helping businesses of all shapes and size to connect with their employees and customers in new ways, providing people with access to the digital skills they need and connecting the most remote parts of the world – whether through 5G, or otherwise.
We tackle whatever challenges come our way. We have each other’s backs, we recognise our accomplishments, and we grow together. We celebrate and support one another – from big and small things in life to big career moments. And giving back is in our DNA (we get 10 days off each year to do just that).
We know that powering an inclusive future starts with us. Because without diversity and a dedication to equality, there is no moving forward. Our 30 Inclusive Communities, that bring people together around commonalities or passions, are leading the way. Together we’re committed to learning, listening, caring for our communities, whilst supporting the most vulnerable with a collective effort to make this world a better place either with technology, or through our actions.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us! #WeAreCisco
When available, the salary range posted for this position reflects the projected hiring range for new hire, full-time salaries in U.S. locations, not including equity or benefits. For non-sales roles the hiring ranges reflect base salary only; employees are also eligible to receive annual bonuses. Hiring ranges for sales positions include base and incentive compensation target. Individual pay is determined by the candidate's hiring location and additional factors, including but not limited to skillset, experience, and relevant education, certifications, or training. Applicants may not be eligible for the full salary range based on their U.S. hiring location. The recruiter can share more details about compensation for the role in your location during the hiring process.
U.S. employees have access to quality medical, dental and vision insurance, a 401(k) plan with a Cisco matching contribution, short and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance and numerous wellbeing offerings. Employees receive up to twelve paid holidays per calendar year, which includes one floating holiday, plus a day off for their birthday. Employees accrue up to 20 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) each year and have access to paid time away to deal with critical or emergency issues without tapping into their PTO. We offer additional paid time to volunteer and give back to the community. Employees are also able to purchase company stock through our Employee Stock Purchase Program.
Employees on sales plans earn performance-based incentive pay on top of their base salary, which is split between quota and non-quota components. For quota-based incentive pay, Cisco pays at the standard rate of 1% of incentive target for each 1% revenue attainment against the quota up to 100%. Once performance exceeds 100% quota attainment, incentive rates may increase up to five times the standard rate with no cap on incentive compensation. For non-quota-based sales performance elements such as strategic sales objectives, Cisco may pay up to 125% of target. Cisco sales plans do not have a minimum threshold of performance for sales incentive compensation to be paid.