Sr. Mechanical Engineer
Location:San Jose, California, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Hardware
What You’ll Do
The Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer conceptualize design and develop of leading-edge mechanical enclosures for electronic systems. You will impact and shape the development of cutting-edge network gears and hardware designs. Use your strong technical background in mechanical, material, structural, EMC and/or thermal knowledge to develop and innovate next generation Electromechanical solution. You will have an opportunity to collaborate with Cisco cross-functional teams to architecture, define, build, and validate the network products such as switch and router in service provider, enterprise and datacenter deployment. In addition, you will be responsible for managing and maintaining the mechanical technical content of the product.
High Level Responsibilities:
- Conceptualize and develop mechanical enclosure for electronic products.
- Architect, design and deliver electromechanical design per customer and marketing inputs and specification of product requirements
- Demonstrate a high degree of originality and innovation in defining product and project level architecture.
- Significantly influences the design of interfaces between products to ensure interoperability.
- Resolve complex design issues at system level
- Lead project team on the build of a major development product (board /enclosure /chassis) coordinating with other departments and participating in.
- Minimum Qualifications BSME in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent and 8+ yrs of EMS design experiences or MSME with 6+ yrs of direct working experiences.
- Broad and I/O (interconnect) knowledge, design constraints associated with sheet metal, plastic, PCB layout and die cast design are essential.
- Must have NX and Team Center experience. Knowledge in PTC's Creo tools are a plus.
- Proficiency with a CFD and structural analysis tool is a plus
- Designs and develops advanced thermal/ structural solution to meet the critical performance requirements.
- Drives resolution of issues with CAD and manufacturing engineers in developing new designs
- Develop schedule and manage medium to large size tasks Proficient in geometric tolerances, and familiar with DFx (DFA/DFM etc.)
- Participate and/or take a lead role in Cisco’s Patent Program.
- Interfaces cross-functionally and leads team collaboration extending beyond work group.
- Excellent verbal skills and professional presentations
- Support vendor with improved DFM / DFA recommendations.
- Assist the evaluation and selection of new vendors.
- Write complete functional and design specs independently.
- Hand on experiences in mill, bench saw and/or inspection equipment such as Instron, optical scope, airflow bench and 3D printer are greatly useful.
Who You'll Work With
You will be working very closely with HW Engineering, Product Management/Marketing, Product Ops team, Global Supplier Management (GSM), External Vendors/Suppliers, Mfg Ops and EMS/JDM partners.
Who You Are
You will possess strong analytical, decision-making and communication skills to influence others and provide technical vision to a product or project. In addition, minimum requirements/knowledge of design and process FMEA (failure modes and effects analysis) is essential to debug system whether it’s in prototype stage or customer escalation related issue.
- Knowledge and application of industry innovations, technologies, trends, fabrication methods (sheet metal, casting, plastic, extrusion), design processes, manufacturing automation and structural/thermal analysis.
- Knowledge of FEA tools and proficient in CAD design tools (NX, TeamCenter) with an understanding of thermal simulations.
- Knowledge of tolerance analysis of complex systems
- Basic knowledge of mechanical parts costing
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent, plus 8+ years of related experience or MS degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent, plus 6+ years of related experience.
- Good written, verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to influence across peer, leadership and organizations
Why you'll love Cisco
We change the World, you will become passionate about your employer and the brand you represent. Everything is converging on the Internet, making networked connections more meaningful than ever before in our lives. Our employees' groundbreaking ideas impact everything. Here, that means we take creative ideas from the drawing board to dynamic solutions that have real world impact. You'll collaborate with Cisco leaders, partner with mentors, and develop incredible relationships with colleagues who share your interest in connecting the unconnected. You'll be part a team that cares about its customers, enjoys having fun, and you'll take part in changing the lives of those in our local communities. Come prepared to be encouraged and inspired.
At Cisco, each person brings their unique talents to work as a team and make a difference.
Yes, our technology changes the way the world works, lives, plays and learns, but our edge comes from our people.
- We connect everything – people, process, data and things – and we use those connections to change our world for the better.
- We innovate everywhere - From launching a new era of networking that adapts, learns and protects, to building Cisco Services that accelerate businesses and business results. Our technology powers entertainment, retail, healthcare, education and more – from Smart Cities to your everyday devices.
- We benefit everyone - We do all of this while striving for a culture that empowers every person to be the difference, at work and in our communities.
Colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Be you, with us! #WeAreCisco
@Cisco #CiscoJobs #WeAreCisco
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.