Sr. Machine Learning Engineer – Infrastructure
Location:Austin, Texas, US
Additional Location(s)Ann Arbor, MI
Area of InterestInformation Technology
Technology InterestBig Data, Analytics, Security
Duo Security, now a part of Cisco, is the leading provider of Trusted Access security and multi-factor authentication delivered through the cloud. Our mission is to make security simple for everyone. We were born from a hacker ethos and a desire to make the Internet a secure place. We believe in empowering people to follow their passions inside and outside of the office and enable every employee to bring their whole self to work.
Our team is our secret weapon. We run the spectrum from artists to analysts, low-key to high energy, and bring together a diversity of skill sets, experiences, and perspectives to solve what we consider to be the world's most pressing geopolitical challenge — transforming the security industry as we know it. Together we build solutions that are easy, effective, trustworthy, and enduring. And that’s why we are the most loved and trusted company in security.
On Duo's data science team, we use machine learning and statistics to bring new product capabilities and analytical insights to our customers. Are you passionate about machine learning and solving hard security problems to help organizations of all sizes? Do you want to work closely with a pragmatic and diverse group of data scientist, engineers, and security researchers in Duo's industry-leading R&D team? Do you have great ideas about what an ideal modern machine learning infrastructure should look like? If yes, then you might be a good fit for this role!
What you'll do...
- Assume ownership of current and future machine learning infrastructure. You’ll be the first engineer in this role at Duo and will have an opportunity to make a large impact.
- Partner with data engineers and data scientists to build paved paths for machine learning, and deliver machine learning product features to the hands of millions of users at thousands of Duo customers.
- Evaluate, recommend, build, or drive adoption of tools and processes for a wide range of research and production use cases. Areas of work could include, for example, systems for research data access, for experiment tracking, or for scheduling and monitoring model training jobs in production.
- Develop tools and processes to enable reliable and performant access to data for research and product development, while ensuring security and privacy properties.
- Make improvements to our production machine learning pipeline.
- Enhance our experiment tracking tool and research infrastructure in general.
- Elicit and prioritize the infrastructure needs of the data science team.
You should have...
- Significant experience engineering software systems.
- Developed server-side web applications, REST APIs, and/or micro-services
- A solid understanding of machine learning, in order to better understand and anticipate the team’s needs.
- Programming skills in Python, or in languages like Go or Ruby.
- A penchant for working collaboratively within and across teams.
- The ability to clearly communicate your ideas.
- A commitment to quality and an eye for details.
- The agility to work in the rapid, unpredictable environment of a high-growth tech organization.
Even better if you have...
- Scala and Apache Spark experience.
- Worked with data pipelines or distributed message queues.
- Familiarity with Python 3 and Twisted.
- Experience running deployments at-scale in AWS or similar IaaS services.
- A passion for security and privacy.
- Partnered with data science teams in an engineering capacity in the past.
3 Reasons why you should apply…
- You love to solve complex problems revolving around data.
- A company culture of kindness, transparency, and learning. Employees love Duo.
- Ability to positively impact millions of users. Customers love Duo.
This job may not be for you if…
- You stress under ambiguity and lack of precedent. We’re building something new and that often means clearing our own path.
- You’re more interested in developing ML models than the infrastructure that makes them possible. If so, keep an eye out for data science roles on our team.
- Scalable data infrastructure is your thing, but machine learning not so much. You might be a great fit for our data engineering team.
Duo is committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of inclusion and connectedness. We are able to grow and learn better together with a diverse team of employees. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, innovation, self-expression, and talent that our employees invest in their work represents not only part of our culture, but our reputation and Duo’s achievement as well. In recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that all potential candidates can bring in terms of their education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, gender identity and expression, nationality, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, religion, disability, sexual orientation and beliefs.
And if this role is exciting you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet all 100% of the description or qualifications. Finally and most importantly, we are a proud Equal Opportunity Employer