Software Research Engineer
Location:Milpitas, California, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestWireless, Mobility
What You'll Do
You’re deeply motivated Software Engineer who can make a difference in the team with their out of box thinking and will be part of world-class research and advanced development team that works on various ground breaking technologies.
In Enterprise Networking's Innovation Lab, you participate in a dynamic and interdisciplinary team responsible for identifying meaningful and impactful problems, developing practical proof-of-concept solutions, and delivering quality code that will form the foundation for Cisco's future products and services. You have opportunity to engage in intense cross-team and cross-business collaborations.
Who You'll Work With
The Enterprise Networking Business (ENB) is Cisco's largest business group by revenue and profit. Members of the Innovation Lab collaborates with engineering and product management within Cisco, as well as academia and standards groups outside Cisco, to deliver application-aware networking products and solutions that build innovations in Intent-Based Networking (IBN), Internet of Things (IoT), emerging wireless technologies such as Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) and 5G cellular, software-defined WAN (SD-WAN), cloud networking, security, and related areas. Of particular interest are the development and application of machine learning and artificial intelligence toward improving networking, application-aware networking, security, and related areas. We have keen interest in building proof-of-concepts, and developing optimization for emerging applications such as augmented reality, virtual reality, smart-buildings, smart-cities, connected vehicles, remote telemedicine, and other meaningful areas for society.
Who You Are
- Typically requires PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Math, or related field, or MS combined with 3+ years of related experience
- Strong background in theory or practice for one of the following topics
- PHY or MAC operations for WiFi or other wireless technologies
- Machine learning, deep learning, reinforcement learning
- Software defined infrastructure, including software defined radio
- Wireless sensing using radio or other frequencies
- Network-based analytics for the above and following areas.
- Enterprise mobility, BYOD, and indoor-location-based services
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Interactive video or AR/VR over enterprise networks
- Enterprise security
- Strong software system building skills
- Track record of innovation evidenced by development of novel systems, products, publications, or patents.
- Self-motivated, strong sense of ownership, good teammate
- Handle multiple tasks at once and work independently with minimal managerial mentorship.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong team building skills. This role requires the ability to work across departments and with other teams
- Be open to continuous learning and committed to ongoing self-improvement.
- Initiate and participate in interpersonal efforts to improve overall group productivity and test effectiveness.
We connect everything: people, processes, data, and things. We innovate everywhere, taking aggressive risks to craft the technologies that give us smart cities, connected cars, and handheld hospitals. And we do it in style with rare personalities who aren’t afraid to change the way the world works, lives, plays and learns.
We are leaders with vision, tech geeks, pop culture aficionados, and we even have a few purple haired rock stars. We celebrate the creativity and diversity that fuels our innovation. We are dreamers and we are doers.
We Are Cisco.