Location:Offsite, San Jose, California, US
Alternate LocationUS/Canada Remote
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestCloud and Data Center, Security, Software Development, Testing
The Cloud Infrastructure Engineering team at Cisco drives the technology that's transforming the way product teams secure their networks, and more importantly, their users. At its core, the Cloud Infrastructure team provides Infrastructure as a Service for engineering in dozens of our edge data centers. As a Software Engineer, you will be a key member of the Network Engineering team, which is responsible for the design, development, and operation of the network that engineering relies upon to deliver solutions to our customers. This is a small team that does big things.
What You'll Do
You will be part of the team focused on measuring, analyzing, and improving end-user network experience. This team’s goal is to provide the best possible network experience for users of our network. To provide the best experience, we must first measure the network experience and analyze it.
As a Software Engineer in our Network Experience team, you will:
- Build, deploy, and continuously improve the infrastructure used by our network engineers, data analysts, and business analysts. The tools we have been using here include Docker, Terraform, Concourse, Jenkins, Kubernetes, and AWS web services
- Manage data infrastructure and storage, compute, ingest, and dimensional modeling to bring data together in a reliable, timely, performant, and easy to understand way for the users and systems that need it
- Develop ELT (Extract, Load, Transform) to ingest and transform data from databases, APIs, and any system into a data lake and data warehouse. The tools used include Snowflake, dbt, Dremio, Kafka, and custom Python.
Who You'll Work With
The members of the Network Engineering team build and operate core network services for the CIE platform. We are a team that is supportive of learning and experimentation. Our customers are other engineers in the organization, who we value above all else. We pride ourselves in helping them succeed by providing them with solutions that meet their needs. We work closely with the rest of the Infrastructure Engineering teams to build core Internet infrastructure, security applications and distributed systems at scale.
We are looking for an experienced engineer with a strong understanding of building and managing real-time data infrastructure for performance monitoring. Meaningful requirements include
- You have Data Engineering experience – including running infrastructure needed to orchestrate data pipelines (data lake and data warehouse), store data with different retention and performance requirements, and perform compute for multiple loads
- You've documented models, schemas and created data dictionaries
- You have experience with data extraction: you've ingested large quantities of data from distinct sources (APIs, databases, specific applications, logs, etc)
- You have experience and a comfort level with programming. You can read and write code in Python and SQL
- You have experience in SQL: you’ve used written complex SQL queries that join across data from multiple systems, matching them up even when there was not a straightforward way to join the tables. You've designed tables with an eye towards ease of use and high performance
- You're familiar with distributed source control using Git and CI/CD tools like Concourse or Jenkins
- You understand columnar-store and row-store file formats like Parquet and Avro.
It is a huge plus if you have prior experience with some of the following:
- Telemetry, analytics, or performance monitoring especially with respect to networking.
- Networking technologies such as BGP, Traceroute, DNS.
- Snowflake, Graphite, Prometheus or equivalent technologies.
- Building dashboards in Tableau, Grafana or equivalent technologies.
We Are Cisco
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!