Software Engineer Intern - UK
Location:Feltham, United Kingdom
Alternate LocationVirtual - Offsite Working from Home (In UK)
Area of InterestInformation Technology
Technology InterestBig Data, Analytics, Cloud and Data Center, Collaboration, Video, Software Development, Testing
We have an opportunity for a software engineer to join us on a 1 year Internship, at an exciting and transformational time. This role provides opportunities to work with the latest technology in the heart of the Webex Collaboration Suite (Webex Teams, Webex Meetings & Devices) with the brightest minds in one of the world’s leading IT companies.
What you will do:
Be coached by world-class leaders who will challenge and mentor you. Join with a team of new interns and graduates all starting your careers together, increase your professional development whilst meeting the demands of your projects and programs.
Within a small, global agile team:
- Design and implement complex software applications, focusing on data ingestion and analysis
- Deploy and maintain business critical applications in production at Cisco scale
- Be a critical part of the development team by implementing and deploying complex software applications
- Apply software engineering best practices along with a security first mindset in a scrum team
- Maintain and expand knowledge and skills of current and emerging technologies to improve existing Cisco Webex Collaboration suite
- Present, share and demonstrate your work to team members and stakeholders
We are looking for individuals with a passion for technology and problem solving, ideally with solid academic foundations in engineering disciplines;
· Currently studying towards a degree (Bachelors or higher)
- A passion for – and a commitment to lifelong learning – a willingness and eagerness to invest time in training and developing your skills
- Strong fundamentals in at least one OOP Language e.g: Java, Python, C++
- Interest in modern web frameworks e.g: React or VueJs
- Familiarity with virtualisation software and containers (e.g. Docker)
- Knowledge of operating systems (e.g: Linux) and databases (e.g: SQL or NoSQL)
- Experience using a version control system, such as Git
What we offer
At Cisco, we truly believe in the well-being of our employees and work-life balance and our benefits package is designed to reflect this.
- Annual Leave: 20 days plus bank holidays
- Access to Cisco’s onsite office facilities including;
- Free shuttle buses between local stations and the Cisco Campus office
Starbucks Coffee bar
Access to a large canteen
Massage chairs & nap pods
An onsite Nuffield Health gym and showers (at an additional cost)
- At Cisco, we encourage a culture of giving back to the community, and you will receive invitations to participate in giving back events organised either by the IT team or the Bedfont Lakes campus CSR team.
Life in Cisco IT:
In Cisco IT we are uniquely positioned to see how the rest of the business operates – because between us - we support everyone! The possibilities to create, to build solutions that impact transformational change are endless because change is our constant.
Our team is everywhere, and so whilst based in the UK, we regularly work with people across the world and occasionally travel to meet each other.
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!