Software Engineer - C/C++/BGP Routing Protocols
Location:Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestSoftware Development, Testing
The Business Entity
Cisco is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate, and collaborate. Since 1984, Cisco has led in the innovation of IP-based networking technologies such as routing, switching, security, unified communications, video, and wireless. Our responsible business practices help ensure business sustainability and environmentally conscious operations and products.
Cisco is a $50+ Billion dollar global leader in supplying leading edge, best-in-class networking products driving today's Internet. The company is ranked as one of the world's best employers and spends over $5 Billion dollars a year invested in R&D. Cisco is a great place to grow your career.
The BGP Routing Team (the best in the industry) in Central Software Group (CSG) seeks an experienced Engineer to deliver software solutions for our Service-Provider/DataCenter/Enterprise products. This is an excellent opportunity to participate in development of flexible software in CSG for the next generation networking product’s.
Role & Responsibilities
Participate on a project team of engineers involved in development of software for Cisco products. Requires use of a strong background in SW design, documentation and implementation, on projects that may include any of the following list of responsibilities:
- Contribute to the development of a major SW release, including building the software, coordinating with other departments
- Design and deliver software features.
- Demonstrate a high degree of originality and innovation in defining solutions
- Significantly influences the design of interfaces between products to ensure interoperability.
- Develop large portions of software independently and rapidly.
- Champion new, improved design methodologies.
- Participate in Cisco's Patent Program.
- Ability to apply extensive experience as a networking protocol specialist.
- Understands advanced architecture principles and design practices.
- Exercises good judgement determining how to best achive technical objectives of assignment.
- Self motivated and highly ambitious
- Creative problem solving skills and excellent troubleshooting/debugging skills
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Excellent teamwork and people skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and work towards long-term goals
- Flexibility and openness to change
- Programming experience (C, C++ ), script languages (Perl, Python)
- Familiarity with Unix/Linux
- Experience working on embedded systems
- Experience using RTOS (ex: QNX, VxWorks)
- Understanding of networking fundamentals and protocols (ex: TCP/IP, OSPF, BGP, MPLS)
Typically requiers Bachelor's, Master’s or Ph.D degree with in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related major.
The Internet of Everything is a phenomenon driving new opportunities for Cisco and it's transforming our customers' businesses worldwide. We are pioneers and have been since the early days of connectivity. Today, we are building teams that are expanding our technology solutions in the mobile, cloud, security, IT, and big data spaces, including software and consulting services. As Cisco delivers the network that powers the Internet, we are connecting the unconnected. Imagine creating unprecedented disruption. Your revolutionary ideas will impact everything from retail, healthcare, and entertainment, to public and private sectors, and far beyond. Collaborate with like-minded innovators in a fun and flexible culture that has earned Cisco global recognition as a Great Place To Work. With roughly 10 billion connected things in the world now and over 50 billion estimated in the future, your career has exponential possibilities at Cisco.