Software Director, Enterprise Networking Group - Polaris
Location:San Jose, California, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestCloud and Data Center, Networking
What You'll Do
Your role will be Director of Engineering in the Intent Based Enterprise Networking Group at Cisco. You will lead a tiered software engineering team that works on various cutting edge technologies for Cisco’s Enterprise Networking products and services. This role includes responsibility for co-developing the technical strategy with the architects and technical leads. Maintaining a roadmap that will continue to innovate from a technical standpoint. Direct supervisor of senior technical staff as well as managing a team of 50+ engineers/Managers. Responsible for ensuring that the product vision is realized through excellence in execution.
You will have an opportunity to lead and nurture a team of engineers, owning core software infrastructure and real-time technologies for Cisco IOS-XE such as in-memory databases and messaging, binary tracing, analytics pipelines, cluster discovery and orchestration, software virtualization and containerization and compiler customization.
Who You’ll Work With
You will be part of Polaris, a world-class software team that is responsible for core infrastructure and technologies of the IOS XE software stack. IOS XE powers Cisco’s entire Enterprise Networking and IOT portfolio of Routers, Switches, Wireless LAN controllers and IOT gateways. The combined revenue of products that ship on the software owned by this team is $12+ Billion. We are transforming Enterprise Networking to truly Intent Based Networks with unparalleled manageability, flexibility, rich services, deep insights and real-time analytics.
Who You Are
- A inspiring leader, with a strong ability to influence others, build consensus, lead teams, engage engineers, and drive towards business and technical decisions.
- Built a team from scratch and led teams to a successful delivery
- Guided product features based on changing market requirements
- Owned the product schedule and feature requirements
- Passionate about building an excellent software development process
- Partner with multi-functional core partners within both product engineering to own the technology direction, facilitate key technical decision points, and take the architecture specifications into working engineering outcomes
- Ability to commit to road maps with capabilities and timelines, with a consistent record for new product and technology evaluation and introduction
- Ability to guide team on technical proposals, seek feedback and influence senior leadership
- Align technology to business strategy, and dedicatedly drive a technical direction throughout the organization
- Manage multiple teams consisting of both contract and full time employees and senior level technical individuals
- Improve and innovate development and CI/CD processes to improve engineering productivity
- Minimum 10+ years managing and developing systems software for networking or embedded Linux platforms.
- Thorough understanding of low latency scale-up and scale-out software architectures for on premises and cloud hosted environments across all layers
- Proven experience in definition and execution of strategic objectives.
- Proven project and team management skills with emphasis on quality, execution and delivery.
- Strong people management skills, leading by empowerment and engagement.
- Ability to hire top talent, motivate teams.
- Has demonstrated the ability to prioritize and execute tasks within projects with a sense of urgency in the face of numerous daily interruptions, ability to work independently and take direction from others.
- Experience in multi-functional Engineering environment that requires working with multiple product teams.
- Excellent communications (oral and written) and presentation skills, assertiveness and the ability to take discussions and open issues to closure, ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical individuals such as executive leadership.
- Technology leadership skills to include coaching/mentoring/teaching, critical thinking/judgment, facilitation, leading change, and team development
- Results oriented: your success and ours will ultimately be measured “by the numbers”
- Patience, empathy, a good listener, ability to understand customer needs
- Able to work in a seamless team and liaise with other internal organizations such as Sales, Product Management, Customer Support, Professional Services, and Operations
- Strong business insight and industry insight, thought leadership
- Leadership skills to include coaching/mentoring, critical thinking, facilitation, change leadership, and team development
At Cisco, each person brings their unique talents to work as a team and make a difference.
Yes, our technology changes the way the world works, lives, plays and learns, but our edge comes from our people.
- We connect everything – people, process, data and things – and we use those connections to change our world for the better.
- We innovate everywhere - From launching a new era of networking that adapts, learns and protects, to building Cisco Services that accelerate businesses and business results. Our technology powers entertainment, retail, healthcare, education and more – from Smart Cities to your everyday devices.
- We benefit everyone - We do all of this while striving for a culture that empowers every person to be the difference, at work and in our communities.
Colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Be you, with us! #WeAreCisco