Software Development Engineer
Location:Feltham, United Kingdom
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestWebex (Collaboration)
Cisco's Collaboration Technology Group is redefining the future of collaboration in the workspace. We are creating a world where people come together effortlessly and enjoyably. Our technology powers products and services that bring modern, uncompromised collaboration to everyone – spanning every room, desk, pocket, and application. Industry leading products like Cisco Webex Teams, Webex Meetings, Cisco Meeting Server, and Cisco Collaboration Meeting Rooms are examples of our technology in action.
Our team is responsible for the design, implementation, testing and deployment of leading-edge real-time media services, running both on customer sites and in cloud environments.
What you'll do
As part of a diverse team, you will play an integral part in this DevOps software engineering process. A successful candidate for this role can be flexible, quickly learning new skills and taking responsibility for tasks and features. You will be solving new problems and tackling new challenges every day, with a focus on quality and attention to detail, supported by a team of fellow engineers.
From your first week you will be fully embedded in a scrum team working on our codebase to deliver new functionality and improvements to our customers. You may be developing a new feature or a fully automated test, investigating a problem, or using our test tools to ensure that our software is always high quality. The work is always varied and challenging.
You will be mentored by another engineer to help you quickly get up to speed, along with more formal talks and training to grow your knowledge and skills.
Who we are looking for
We are looking for talented individuals with:
- A bachelor’s or higher degree in an analytical subject, such as Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or Physics
- Coding experience in C++
- Familiarity with Linux
- The ability to apply a scientific approach to solving complex problems
- Attention to detail
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Ability to learn new skills and technologies
- Ability to communicate clearly and precisely
Any of the following skills would be particularly advantageous, but we welcome applications without these:
- Knowledge of programming in Python
- Exposure to network programming (TCP/IP, streaming protocols, HTTP, RTP)
- Exposure to cryptography
- Familiarity with multithreaded/event driven/asynchronous software
- Familiarity with virtualisation software and containers (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Familiarity with open-source tools like GStreamer and OpenCV
- Familiarity with DevOps, continuous integration, continuous delivery
- Familiarity with audio and video coding, processing techniques, and technologies (e.g. H.264, Opus)
We provide training and mentoring for all new team members to fill in any gaps.
Who you’ll work with
The Cloud Collaboration Technology Group (CCTG) is a global organisation, with development centres in the US, the UK, Ireland, China, India, Norway, and more. This position is aligned to the UK team, located at Cisco’s EMEAR headquarters in Bedfont Lakes, Feltham. You will collaborate closely with a global virtual team of colleagues in all the other geographies on a regular basis.
You will work in an Agile team alongside other engineers, collaborating to create and test new features and continuously improve our media code base and related areas of the software stack (media-related signalling protocols, application-level logic, test harnesses and test infrastructure, CI/CD tooling, build pipelines, etc.). Your contributions will be reviewed by other experienced team members to ensure consistency and high quality.
Travel to, and presenting at, other Cisco offices around the world, and external events such as industry forums will be required occasionally.
What we offer you
- A competitive salary and bonus scheme
- Excellent benefits
- A flexible working environment and hours
- Continuous learning through training, stretch assignments and hackathons
- A fun group of people to work alongside
- An opportunity to work with cutting-edge, industry-leading technologies
- Fortnightly sprint demos with pizza
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we're "old" (30 years strong!) and only about hardware, but we're also a software company. A security company. A blockchain company. An AI/Machine Learning company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do - you can't put us in a box!
We made the Internet what it is today. But Cisco didn't just build the Internet. We keep building it. Our edge doesn't come from technology. It comes from our people. We are leaders with vision, tech geeks, pop culture aficionados, and we even have a few purple haired rock stars. We celebrate the creativity and diversity that fuels our innovation. We are dreamers and we are doers. We Are Cisco.