Site Reliability Engineer Summer 2023 Internship (Meraki)
Location:Offsite, San Francisco, California, US
Alternate LocationRemote - Anywhere in the US
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Compensation Range44000 USD - 130000 USD
Technology InterestInternet of Everything, Software Development, Testing
Site Reliability Engineer
Remote Summer Internship (May - August), full-time work schedule, Monday - Friday / 40 hours)
Cisco Meraki Business Unit
As a Site Reliability Engineer Intern/Co-op on the Meraki Backend Infrastructure Team, you will work on projects responsible for everything from our server hardware and operating systems to tools for code deployment and service monitoring. You will have the opportunity to build software and systems to monitor, scale and deploy our distributed cloud services.
Meraki's Backend Infrastructure Team is responsible for building and scaling the cloud that supports millions of Meraki devices across the world. Meraki’s customer base has grown by a factor of 2-3 every year, serving more than 1.5 billion HTTP requests per day across six data centers. Our customers depend on the Meraki cloud to manage and monitor their critical infrastructure of network switches, security appliances, wireless APs, security cameras, and phones.
In this role, you will be part of a small engineering team that is based out of Meraki’s San Francisco headquarters. During your time here, you will make crucial decisions about how to manage and scale complex, high-performance distributed systems. You will also provide your own perspective on our backend systems and help develop innovative ways to improve the way we manage the underlying infrastructure.
What we look for in our SRE intern/co-op candidates:
- You are pursuing a technical bachelors degree or have equivalent experience with a strong foundation in the fundamentals of computer science -OR- pursuing a software/coding boot camp (or educational training program) and/or technical associates degree with a strong foundation in the fundamentals of computer science.
- Clear and effective communication skills
- Proactive learners who can quickly pick up working in multiple frameworks, languages and environments
- Passionate team players
- Continually able to learn from experience and eager for feedback
- Previous internship or large scale project experience
- A strong foundation in the fundamentals of Computer Science (familiarity with networking, data visualization, Ruby on Rails, C/C++ or an understanding of databases)
- Authorized to work in the U.S. without requiring sponsorship now or in the future
- Bonus Points:
- Know your way around *nix systems. We run Debian.
- Are familiar with logging and monitoring tools such as Graphite, Grafana, Logstash, ElasticSearch, statsd, collectd.
Projects and Work Life:
Meraki interns and co-ops join the team for 12 and 16 week programs, respectively, and are placed directly onto subteams. During the program, interns/co-ops have the opportunity to work on a small starter project, such as integration and implementation of new tools, before spending the majority of the program on a larger project, such as building the infrastructure for a new service. Projects are cross functional, which allow insight into new languages and technologies, help encourage professional growth within engineering, and allow a sense of ownership within the team.
Meraki’s engineering teams place a high emphasis on mentorship. Each intern and co-op is matched 1:1 with a mentor who provides continual feedback and guidance throughout the duration of the program. Mentors help with introductions to other team members, overviews of tools and processes, and provide a seamless integration into Meraki life.
Examples of Past Projects
- Adding at-rest encryption to our cloud-based database backups
- Revamping our Organization Move process to move customers between servers
- Implementing Docker Containers to move our infrastructure to a containerized world
- Competitive salary
- Weekly social events
- Customized laptop and desk setups
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage plans
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
When available, the salary range posted for this position reflects the projected hiring range for new hire salaries in U.S. locations. For non-sales roles, the hiring ranges reflect base salary and do not include bonuses, equity, or benefits. Hiring ranges for sales positions include base and incentive target, and do not include equity or benefits. Individual pay is determined by the candidate's hiring location and additional factors, including but not limited to skillset, experience, and relevant education, certifications or training. Applicants may not be eligible for the full salary range based on their U.S. hiring location. The recruiter can share more details about compensation for the role in your location during the hiring process.