Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) - Webex Meetings Micro-services
Location:Richardson, Texas, US
Additional Location(s)Anywhere US Remote
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestCollaboration, Video, Software Development, Testing, Wireless, Mobility
hello***Please Note: US Citizenship is required for this role due to the nature of work with our US Federal customers.***
What You'll Do
As a Site Reliability Engineer within the WebEx Meetings Platform organization, you will collaborate and help guide a global Operations team that collaborates with various Software Development groups to operate and deliver high availability cloud services to our customers. You will be accountable for ensuring 5-9’s service availability, making metrics-driven operational decisions, and balancing the challenges of delivering stable, high quality, services against speed-to-market needs for rapid delivery of new features and releases.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Frequently participate in cross functional collaboration efforts with a wide variety of internal teams, to leverage different functional expertise, and work towards common goals
- Help drive a paradigm shift towards a DevOps culture. Collaborate with software development groups throughout the development lifecycle, to ensure operational needs are adequately considered and baked into new software releases.
- Define: KPIs, health-check APIs, monitoring & alarming thresholds
- Develop: Infrastructure (network, compute, storage) models
- Drive toward: Automated deployments & modern approaches to configuration management.
- Responsible for ensuring uptime & availability of cloud based audio & video services
- Setup clear and accurate SLO/SLI for efficient service monitoring
- Actively participate in the incident management process
- Full service handling (analysis, debugging, response, and resolution) of customer tickets and management escalations
- Engage with external telecom vendors, to evaluate and on-board new third-party circuits & services
Who You’ll Work For
The Cloud Collaboration Technology Group (CCTG) is a $1B business unit that develops primarily cloud-based collaboration software solutions, and is an integral part of the $4.4B Collaboration portfolio at Cisco, which is investing heavily to transform the future of collaboration experiences for our end users.
CCTG's vision is to be the recognized industry leader in the Cloud Collaboration market as well as to be the industry beacon that attracts top talent. Our strategy is to sustain innovation in our current $1B product line, and to develop innovative new products for the future that expand and positively disrupt our market. We will do all of this, and build a next generation cloud platform with APIs and an ecosystem that deliver tangible business outcomes enabling our customers to get more jobs done!
The CCTG Platform & Automation team is a growing distributed dynamic group of Engineers that is developing the next generation of cloud-based collaboration and mobile applications for Cisco. With a head start of 50 million users and nearly all Fortune 500 companies, this group leads the industry.
Who Are You
You are a Site Reliability Engineer, who is passionate about running cloud services in a multitude of mixed environments. You can be relied upon in high pressure situations to provide technical guidance and direction to assist your team members, as well as your peers within the extended team.
The minimum requirements for this role are as follows;
- BS in Computer Science & 5 years of experience, or MS in Computer Science & 3 years of previous experience.
- Relevant experience in any of the following areas: DevOps, Cloud Operations, SRE, Systems Engineering, or Software Engineering; with an emphasis on creating automation software and automated processes.
- Excellent debugging & technical problem-solving skills.
- Experience operating large complex cloud solutions across private, public and hybrid clouds
- Demonstrable knowledge of, and tangible experience with the DevOps principles and concepts. Experience building CICD pipelines is a plus.
- 3-5 years of development experience in any of the following languages; Java, Python, C++
- Experience managing and operating large voice and video collaboration services & infrastructure
- In-depth knowledge and experience with PSTN, VoIP technologies and relevant protocols such as SIP, H.323, RTP, etc.
- Knowledgeable of various packet based media codecs such as G.711, Opus, H.264, etc.
- Advanced knowledge of operating systems, and good understanding of various Linux distributions, Windows, etc.
- Advanced knowledge of networking technologies: TCP, UDP, IPv4, DNS, etc. Daily hands-on experience is preferred.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.
Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
At Cisco, each person brings their unique talents to work as a team and make a difference.
Yes, our technology changes the way the world works, lives, plays and learns, but our edge comes from our people.
- We connect everything – people, process, data and things – and we use those connections to change our world for the better.
- We innovate everywhere - From launching a new era of networking that adapts, learns and protects, to building Cisco Services that accelerate businesses and business results. Our technology powers entertainment, retail, healthcare, education and more – from Smart Cities to your everyday devices.
- We benefit everyone - We do all of this while striving for a culture that empowers every person to be the difference, at work and in our communities.
Colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Be you, with us! #WeAreCisco
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.