Site Reliability Engineer - Platform
Location:Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Additional Location(s)California; Remote
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestCloud and Data Center
Who We Are
The Cloud Infrastructure Engineering team at Cisco drives the technology that's transforming the way product teams secure their networks, and more importantly, their users. As a Site Reliability Engineer, you will be a key member of the Platform Service team, support containerized internet security services in our globally distributed data centers. Our team is responsible for the networks and hosts that support thousands of Internet-scale services. At its core, the Cloud Infrastructure team provides Infrastructure as a Service for engineering in dozens of our “edge” data centers.
Who You'll Work With
The Streamline Platform Service team is looking to expand our team to help us build and operate our globally distributed application platform. We support cloud-native security applications running at internet scale. This team works closely with the rest of the Infrastructure Engineering teams to build core internet architecture, security applications and distributed systems at scale.
The team invests heavily on continual improvement in automation and optimization. Everything needs to scale horizontally and autonomously with stability, resiliency at a high performance with the flexibility to adapt.
Site Reliability Engineers are responsible for helping us ensure the growth, scale and reliability of our platform. We own these applications end-to-end: architecture, software development, infrastructure and the operational component. We are embedded in product development teams and operate as one team with other developers. This may mean rewriting or refactoring an application in order to automate manual tasks and remove human dependencies.
Some of the things you will work on:
· Develop solutions for networking and orchestration problems with availability, scale and latency in mind
· Linux configuration and tuning
· Systems configuration management and CI automation
· Managing application delivery platforms for load balancing, caching, compression, application firewalling, reverse proxy, SSL termination, etc.
· Measuring and improving service performance, monitoring and load automation
The team could be a good fit for you if some of these apply to you:
· Familiarity with container orchestration platforms like Kubernetes
· Experience with setting up and crafting cloud virtualization platforms (AWS, GCP, Azure, Openstack or equivalent)
· Experience building and operating a high-transactional, 24x7 production environment
· Experience with one or more of Python, Bash or GoLang
· Experience with applications that span multiple data-centers and/or cloud controllers
· Familiarity with systems, network and application security concepts
· Experience with Agile software development methodologies: Scrum, Kanban
· Degree in Computer Science or equivalent engineering experience
Our interview process:
One of the aspects of job searching that’s always nerve-wracking is the interview process. To help reduce that stress, our process is fairly straightforward and we aim to be as transparent as possible with it. The process generally is as follows:
· Screening call with a Cisco recruiter
· 30-minute call with the hiring manager
· 4 hours of interviews with the team on-site or remotely
· 1 awesome collaborative coding assessment
We connect everything: people, processes, data, and things. We innovate everywhere, taking bold risks to shape the technologies that give us smart cities, connected cars, and handheld hospitals. And we do it in style with unique personalities who aren’t afraid to change the way the world works, lives, plays and learns. We are thought leaders, tech geeks, pop culture aficionados, and we even have a few purple haired musicians. We celebrate the creativity and diversity that fuels our innovation. We are dreamers and we are doers.
We Are Cisco.