Site Reliability Engineer (Cloud Platform)
Area of InterestInformation Technology
Technology InterestCloud and Data Center
Why you'll love Cisco
We change the World, you will become passionate about your employer and the brand you represent. Everything is converging on the Internet, making networked connections more meaningful than ever before in our lives. Our employees' groundbreaking ideas impact everything. Here, that means we take creative ideas from the drawing board to dynamic solutions that have real world impact.
You'll collaborate with Cisco leaders, partner with mentors, and develop incredible relationships with colleagues who share your interest in connecting the unconnected. You'll be part a team that cares about its customers, enjoys having fun, and you'll take part in changing the lives of those in our local communities. Come prepared to be encouraged and inspired.
Imagine a more secure and smarter world with unlimited bandwidth. If you want to be part of a company that is making that vision a reality, Cisco is the place to be. At Cisco, we continue to develop products that change how we live and communicate, how enterprises run intent based networks, and how Data Centers run faster with more efficiency, capacity and scalability than ever before, enabling our ecosystem to be smarter. The network of tomorrow will allow for content and creativity limited only by the imaginations of its users.
Who We Are
As part of Cisco's Cloud-Native Transformation, we’re building and operating cloud-native stacks and this presents a unique opportunity to transform not only how infrastructure services are provided but also how applications are developed, tested, and operated.
What you’ll Do
Our team is seeking Site Reliability Engineer with extensive experience in scaling and operating cloud-native platforms. You'll work with other SRE team members operating Cisco IT's multi-tenant OpenShift and dedicated Kubernetes environments.
- Collaborate with other core services team members to define roadmap, write clear user stories with well-defined acceptance criteria, design, and build solutions
- Develop and deliver automation software required for building & improving the functionality, reliability, availability, and manageability of applications and cloud platforms
- Design, architect, and build self-service, self-healing, synthetic monitoring and alerting platform and tools
- Automate the development and deployment of infrastructure using Docker, Kubernetes & other orchestration technologies in a hybrid-cloud environment
- Champion and drive the adoption of Infrastructure as Code (IaC) practices and attitude
- Identifying performance bottlenecks, identifying anomalous system behavior, and determining the root cause of incidents
- Engage in capacity planning and demand forecasting and scaling the environment
- Managing flawless upgrades of infrastructure and services through automation
Who you are
You are an excellent Technical Leader with Platform as a Service (PaaS) design, architecture and development experience building cloud platform and deploying cloud-based microservices' application. You have a solid background in and understanding of software systems with the ability to work closely with the rest of the Engineering team from the early stages of design all the way through identifying and resolving production issues. You’re passionate about this role and also believe that automation is key to operating large-scale systems. You’re flexible and willing to learn new things and mentor others.
Required Skills and Experience
- 7+ years of solid hands-on experience building, maintaining, and scaling PaaS and container-hosting platform
- Software programming experience in one or more programming languages: Python, Golang, Java
- A proven track record with Docker containers with a deep understanding of the current container ecosystem
- Demonstrable experience with running containers (Docker/LXC) in a production environment (Kubernetes, Docker Swarm, Rancher, Mesos)
- Deep understanding of Kubernetes fundamentals, including scaling for production workloads
- Specialist skills with Linux (network, OS, process level), networking (network layers, DNS, load balancing), storage, and virtualization
- Experience with running multi-cluster environments and solid grasp of multi-tenancy and security implications
- Experience with build automation and configuration management systems (e.g. Jenkins, Ansible)
- Knowledge of continuous integration (CI) and continuous development (CD) pipelines
- Previous experience in supporting large-scale production environments
- Ability to analyze and debug sophisticated software and infrastructure issues, and develop tools/systems for task automation
- Experience working in an agile development environment
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong communication and teamwork skills
- Bachelor’s degree in CS/CE/EE or equivalent is required.
At Cisco, each person brings their unique talents to work as a team and make a difference.
Yes, our technology changes the way the world works, lives, plays and learns, but our edge comes from our people.
- We connect everything – people, process, data and things – and we use those connections to change our world for the better.
- We innovate everywhere - From launching a new era of networking that adapts, learns and protects, to building Cisco Services that accelerate businesses and business results. Our technology powers entertainment, retail, healthcare, education and more – from Smart Cities to your everyday devices.
- We benefit everyone - We do all of this while striving for a culture that empowers every person to be the difference, at work and in our communities.
Colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Be you, with us! #WeAreCisco #GIS #SDx
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.