Senior Web Application Developer - SP&R
Location:Alpharetta, Georgia, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestSoftware Development, Testing
What You’ll Do
You will help enable, architect, and build the management layer of the Cisco Telemetry Broker (CTB) product. Technologies include Python, Golang, Docker, Django, Postgres, TimescaleDB, Redis and VPP. You will work with your team to help deliver innovative telemetry processing software solutions for our customers. You will be part of a strong collaborative team. You will be challenged in working to solve some tough engineering problems using some of the latest tools, technologies, and approaches. You will look to apply lean startup principles to validate the growth and value potential in all that we do.
Who You’ll Work With
You will be part of CTB engineering team, which is a small, fully distributed, team made up of a combination of backend and frontend engineers. The team fully owns the CTB software development process, from initial idea to delivery to the customer and troubleshooting issues. The team believes in healthy discussions around ideas and how to deliver quality solutions to our customers. You and your team will hold one another accountable for delivery. We are not satisfied until the customer's problem is solved. The team will focus on the achievement of collective results. The team is willing to experiment and adapt. Where forks in the road are approached, the team will use data to drive their decisions.
Who You Are
The CTB team is looking for a driven backend software engineer that will dive in and fully own portions of the CTB management layer. We operate in a highly collaborative environment and have a willingness to help others within the team get the job done and deliver value to our customers.
Responsibilities and required skills:
- You will work to design, develop, maintain, and own the software components that make up the CTB monitoring and management plane. This also includes the design and maintenance of the domain models and the public REST APIs. This stack is implemented with the following technologies so experience with them is a must:
- Django + Django REST Framework
- Postgres, TimescaleDB (bonus)
- Both the production and development environments are heavily based on Docker and containers. Familiarity with the docker and docker-compose toolchain is a must.
- Part of the CTB system ships as a virtual appliance that is built on Debian Linux. Familiarity with this OS and shell-scripting is a must.
- The management plane is also exposed to the user via a UI that is implemented as a ReactJS single-page appliance. You will be required to review UI/UX designs in order to derive the required API. Some rudimental JS coding skills would be a plus in order to troubleshoot integration issues.
- The CTB development team is totally distributed so strong written communications skills and understanding of git and using pull requests for collaboration and review is a must.
- The CTB development team aims to automate all things including integration and system testing. Engineers are responsible for writing and maintaining these tests so familiarity with Jenkins and Python’s unittest framework is a bonus.
- The management and monitoring plane integrates with multiple, backend, components implemented using other languages and technology stacks. As such, you will be expected to review the design of the integrations. The ability to review Golang, C and C++ code is a definite bonus.
- CTB consumes from and sends telemetry to cloud services (e.g., AWS s3, Azure blob storage), so familiarity with AWS and Azure compute concepts is a bonus.
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!