Senior UEFI/BIOS Firmware Engineer
Location:San Jose, California, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Hardware
Technology InterestCloud and Data Center
The UCS Platform BIOS team seeks an energetic, proactive senior BIOS/UEFI firmware engineer to research, design, develop, and troubleshoot System BIOS for UCS server products. This position provides an opportunity to learn and grow in the compute and cloud space. The ideal candidate will have platform software development skills including experience with board bring-up and low-level debug. You will be a part of the development effort from conception through production of UCS servers.
You will work with the Computing Systems Product Group that helps to enable the fully unified data center through the Unified Computing Systems architecture. We architect and build the next generation unified computing systems that include compute, storage, network, virtualization, and management. You will be a part of the dynamic and passionate team that designs, implements, and delivers industry leading computing system products and work on exciting and most challenging projects.
In this highly visible role as a senior software engineer,
- Lead UEFI BIOS development for UCS compute platforms
- Take ownership of overall platform BIOS development and specific features throughout the platform lifecycle
- Interact with silicon partners to understand the next generation processor/platform architecture, identify the areas of concern, and collaborate to address them
- Closely work with IBV BIOS Vendor to resolve the core BIOS and reference code issues and deliver high-quality BIOS for next generation of UCS platforms
- Collaborate with various UCS cross-functional teams such as hardware, network, storage, BMC, management software, manufacturing, QA, and OS teams throughout the platform lifecycle
- Create design/functional specifications for the proprietary BIOS features
- Troubleshoot and drive the platform and BIOS issues to closure
- BS or MS in Computer Science/Engineering, Electrical engineering, or related field
- 5+ years professional experience in System BIOS/UEFI development for server platforms
- Deep understanding of System BIOS/UEFI architecture and specifications
- Experience with Intel and/or AMD platform architecture
- Experience with server platform design and architecture
- Hands-on experience with board bring-up and validation in the lab.
- Good understanding of CPU architecture, DDR4, UPI, PCIe, NVMe, ACPI, RAS, Power Management, TPM/TXT, and EDKII, and Secure boot
- Good knowledge of OS internals and how BIOS/UEFI interacts with OS
- Experience debugging with hardware tools such as JTAG debuggers, Intel ITP, AMD HDT, and analyzers
- Familiar with UEFI driver development and various UEFI protocols is a plus
- Familiar with BMC and out of band management interfaces/protocols such as PECI, redfish, and IPMI is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams
At Cisco, each person brings their unique talents together to work as a team, aiming to make a difference. On top of the fact that our technology changes the way the world works, lives, plays, and learns, our strongest edge comes from our people.
We Connect Everything - People, processes, data and entities, using these connections to change our world for the better.
We Innovate Everywhere – From launching a new era of networking that adapts, learns and protects, to building Cisco Services that accelerate businesses and business results. Our technology powers entertainment, retail, healthcare, education and more – from Smart Cities to your everyday devices.
We Benefit Everyone - We do all of this while simultaneously striving for a culture that empowers every person to be the difference, both at work and in our communities.