Senior Software Engineer
Location:Kanata, Ontario, Canada
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestService Provider
Title: Senior Software Engineer
Who You'll Work With and What are we building next?
It is an exciting time to work on advanced Routing protocols (Segment Routing, Ethernet-VPN, SDN) in the Service Provider Network System group. The next generation of NOS architecture - hardware and software that aligns with SDN, is highly modular and programmable, supports modern software principles and distributed system constructs, and works at hyper-scale. This while making it super simple for customers to deploy and maintain. Some people are calling it the plug-and-play of networking.
Qualifications and Skills
Preference will be given to candidates with knowledge and expertise in these following areas
· 5+ years of industry experience in software development with Bachelor or Master Degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related major, or equivalent experience is required.
· Must be able to demonstrate excellent problem solving skill and ability to learn quickly
· Creative problem solving skills and excellent troubleshooting/debugging skills.
· Strong programming experience (C, C++ ), script languages (Python, Perl), Unit Testing methodologies
· Familiarity with Unix/Linux. Experience using RTOS. Experience working on embedded systems
· Technical knowledge of Routing and Switching, Security technologies and protocols and networking fundamentals and protocols (such as, TCP/IP, EVPN, VXLAN, IPv4/IPv6, Segment routing, OSPF, BGP, MPLS)
· Good communication and presentation skills are highly desirable. Excellent teamwork and people skills.
· Exercises good judgement determining how to best achieve technical objectives of assignment.
How do we work?
"Fast, Agile and Perfect"
Customers are now demanding features turned around in weeks, see them work in their labs and deploy them in an Agile manner; enhance the implementation based on real field feedback and so on. You need to be excited about understanding the requirement, design and code them to deliver a quick early drop and be agile to refine it based on real field feedback to make it ready for deployment. In all of this, the top focus is a must on the aspect of quality, so that our Customers do not lose time and money during their deployment and Operations. "Outcome-based and Customer focus" Cisco wins when the customer wins and makes money, after deploying your new implementation! This needs very close Customer engagement right from understanding their requirement/deployment scenarios, iteratively seek feedback both ways and pro-actively and quickly turn around any questions or issues customers and - to enable them to deploy and win quickly! "Empowered Teams, Fun and Open Culture" Each team decides collectively on the best options to help the customer situation in an empowered manner. We celebrate Customer wins and milestone achievements and relish our hard work that made it happen! - Many times with the Customers. Engineers have the flexibility to work across multiple technology components with soft-component ownership that enhances their learning potential.
What You'll Do and WIFM - What's in It For Me?
1. Build your leadership & expertise on the best-in-class modular, fully distributed, highly available, highly secure network operating system and routing platform
2. Work directly with top and worldwide customers like Service Providers, Web/OTT, Cloud/DC providers, large enterprises, and learn how the world of Edge and Core networking is evolving
3. Evolve IOS-XR into the new Virtualized world and be part of the journey of driving the Customers towards enabling of Virtualized Cloud-based Network Services
4. Lines between networking software (NOS) and application software are blurred since networking is just another application in modern times. Differentiate yourself by going above and beyond plain app software development.
The Internet of Everything is a phenomenon driving new opportunities for Cisco and it's transforming our customers' businesses worldwide. We are pioneers and have been since the early days of connectivity. Today, we are building teams that are expanding our technology solutions in the mobile, cloud, security, IT, and big data spaces, including software and consulting services. As Cisco delivers the network that powers the Internet, we are connecting the unconnected. Imagine creating unprecedented disruption. Your revolutionary ideas will impact everything from retail, healthcare, and entertainment, to public and private sectors, and far beyond. Collaborate with like-minded innovators in a fun and flexible culture that has earned Cisco global recognition as a Great Place To Work. With roughly 10 billion connected things in the world now and over 50 billion estimated in the future, your career has exponential possibilities at Cisco.