Location:Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestBig Data, Analytics, Security, Software Development, Testing
Are you excited by the challenge of protecting people against advanced computer security threats? Do you have the programming skills and experience to improve the advanced detection capabilities of our cloud security platform?
Who You’ll Work With
Billions of times a day, computers around the world communicate with the Cisco Advanced Malware Protection Cloud and rely on the AMP product to protect them against advanced forms of malware. Some malware is straightforward to identify, but antivirus has done that forever. Our customers need protection against malware that’s tricky to identify:
- Viruses that generate different binaries on every machine they infect
- Things that seem benign until you start looking closely at their behaviour
- Malicious programs that have invented new ways of hiding themselves
To make the problem even more interesting: it may only become clear after a few days that a program or behavior was malicious. Does that sound fun to you?
The AMP Data Team is responsible for running advanced malware identification algorithms on incoming event data streams and storing and indexing that data. We index that data both for future detailed investigations of malware incidents, and to retrospectively detect previously unidentified malware in stored data. We strive for sub-second processing latencies in our streaming platforms and databases as they handle data volumes of >100TB/month and growing.
Do you love learning and working with technologies like the following?
If using those to help improve computer security sounds exciting, this is the place for you.
What You’ll do
Our team is looking for a Software Developer who will help scale our infrastructure as the business grows, make server-side code changes for new features, develop and maintain research tools, and take proof-of-concept detections from our researchers and apply their power to protect our customers.
Who You Are
You are self-motivated, results driven and engaged. You’re passionate about back-end development and enjoy collaborating in a team based environment. You have fun learning new technologies. You want to get to the bottom of things, understand what’s going on, and make a difference. You are someone who doesn’t give up when faced with complex problems.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Math, or Physics
- Enjoy writing server-side code and unit tests
- Knowledge of algorithmic complexity
- Able to debug, diagnose, and resolve occasional production problems
- Have 5-10 years experience writing object-oriented code and are ok working in Ruby, Java, JRuby, and Scala
- Experience with Linux command-line and system administration basics: ssh, permissions, packages, log files, &c.
Nice to have
- Master’s degree or PhD
- Experience detecting malware in event streams
- Experience with cloud systems architecture
- Able to smash the stack, use heap sprays, &c., to control EIP
- Real-world experience with streaming platforms like Storm, Flink, and Kafka Streams
- Production experience with distributed databases like Mongo and Cassandra
- Open-source contributions
- Peer-reviewed publications
The Internet of Everything is a phenomenon driving new opportunities for Cisco and it is transforming our customers' businesses worldwide. We are pioneers and have been since the early days of connectivity. Today, we are building teams that are expanding our technology solutions in the mobile, cloud, security, IT, and big data spaces, including software and consulting services. As Cisco delivers the network that powers the Internet, we are connecting the unconnected. Imagine creating unprecedented disruption. Your revolutionary ideas will influence everything from retail, healthcare, and entertainment, to public and private sectors, and far beyond. Collaborate with like-minded innovators in a fun and flexible culture that has earned Cisco global recognition as a Great Place To Work. With roughly 10 billion connected things in the world now and over 50 billion estimated in the future, your career has exponential possibilities at Cisco.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status
@CiscoCareers #CalgaryJobs #CiscoJobs