Senior Software Engineer, Switching
Location:San Jose, California, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestInternet of Everything
Please note this posting is to advertise potential job opportunities. This exact role may not be open today, but could open in the near future. When you apply, a Cisco representative may contact you directly if a relevant position opens.
What You'll Do
You’re extremely motivated Senior Software Engineer and passionate about learning and contributing to the team and the business with "can do" attitude.
- Dedication to Quality: Ability to ensure and commit to a higher standard of quality than usual in the face of time to market pressures.
- Understanding of networking concepts is a preferred
Participate on a project team of engineers involved in the development of software for our next gen intent based networking.
Day to day activities will involve building new features, understanding features in a competitive product and proposing solutions that work for our platform, writing functional and design specifications, programming, unit and integration testing your code, helping review specifications and code for other software engineers in the team, helping documentation team with the configuration aspects of your feature.
Who You'll Work With
The IOS-XE group provides the building blocks for all the Switching, Routing and Wireless products across Cisco’s Enterprise Networking business unit
Do you enjoy spearheading innovation through personal initiative? Would it excite you to be part of a highly motivated best of breed engineering team who is redefining and refreshing the software portfolio for Cisco's Wireless access points? Would you like to challenge yourself in driving a key technology transition in the Wireless Industry while working the market leader? Would you cherish to develop code using the most modern development methods using a test driven development focus? Can you demonstrates the ability to develop software with a system-level focus while understanding the impact of every component, work with minimal supervision, collaborate with a multi-functional team and demonstrates technical knowledge and project management experience to accomplish the goals.
Who You Are
- You are a Software engineer with 7-10+ years of experience with BS/MS in computer systems, software and architecture.
- You have at least 5 years of Linux embedded development experience
- You are good with writing distributed platform and system software
- You are desired to have experienced with board bring-up, writing and debugging device drivers
- Deep understanding of Linux and network resource management
- You are an excellent C programmer and possess strong analytical and logical solving skills
- You have experience with CPU/Memory Management/IO and Virtualization technologies
- You have a deep expertise of the network protocol stack, including L2 switching and IP Routing, TCP/IP
- Prefer strong skills in Python/Perl scripting
- Understanding of network layer protocols
- Problem solving attitude and out of box thinking
- Expert in designing complex systems for scale and high availability
- Quality focused
- Self-motivated, strong sense of ownership, good teammate
- You should be able to own large portions of the software from a technical perspective
- Handle multiple tasks at once and work independently with minimal managerial mentorship.
- Have experience in customer deployment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong team building skills. In this role you'll be work across departments and with other teams
- Be open to continuous learning and committed to ongoing self-improvement.
- Initiate and participate in organizational efforts to improve overall group productivity and test effectiveness. Contribute to overall test strategies
- We connect everything: people, processes, data, and things. We innovate everywhere, taking bold risks to shape the technologies that give us smart cities, connected cars, and handheld hospitals. And we do it in style with rare personalities who aren’t afraid to change the way the world works, lives, plays and learns.
- We are leaders with vision, tech geeks, pop culture aficionados, and we even have a few purple haired rock stars. We celebrate the creativity and diversity that fuels our innovation. We are dreamers and we are doers.
We Are Cisco.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.