Senior Software Engineer - Enterprise Networking - LTE/5G
Location:San Jose, California, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestNetworking, Software Development, Testing, Wireless, Mobility
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be part of a world-class software engineering team that works on various ground-breaking technologies in Enterprise Routing Group. You will design and develop software for key mobility solutions that span across 4G, LTE, 5G NR and other wireless technologies. You will serve as a critical issue point for features owned, and dedicatedly participate in customer issues and calls. You will innovate with the engineering team across products, on quality and process. You will help to hire the best and improve team productivity. You will participate in PRD reviews, write Functional Specifications, code reviews, unit tests, and automation.
The Enterprise Networking Business (ENB) is responsible for Routing, Switching, Wireless, Security, and Core Software at Cisco—we are the largest revenue contributor for the company. You will assist with delivering market-leading 5G/LTE and IoT solutions.
· Extremely motivated Senior Software Engineer and passionate about learning and contributing to the team and the business with "can do" attitude.
· Strong Experience in Cellular technologies, 4G, LTE and 5G NR
· Extremely strong system design and architecture of networking routing products
· Strong design/programming ethic. Knowledge of designing large-scale systems in C/C++ environments is preferred.
· Dedication to Quality: Ability to ensure and commit to a higher standard of quality than usual in the face of time to market pressures.
· Strong OS fundamentals and networking concepts is required.
· In-depth experience in designing networking systems with forwarding, control plane and services preferred
· In-depth understanding of network management systems architecture
· Click Graph experience is preferred
- Typically requires MSEE/CS with 7+ years of related experience or BSEE/CS with 10+ years of experience
- Strong understanding of networking fundamentals and protocols
- Strong experience in one or more of these areas: Cellular technologies, 5G/ LTE, Wi-Fi, Distributed Systems, QoS, Operating Systems, Security, Routing
- Strong passion and experience in troubleshooting, debugging complex systems and possess excellent problem-solving techniques
- Review PRD, Write SFS, Test plans, and other documentations
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to work multi-functionally
Participate on a project team of engineers involved in the development of software for our next generation low end platforms and Wireless WAN (LTE/4G/5G) architectures.
Define, architect, design, and deliver new software and features for the low-end enterprise and Mobility platforms
Day to day activities will involve building new features, understanding features in a competitive product and proposing solutions that work for our platform, writing functional and design specifications, programming, unit and integration testing your code, helping review specifications and code for other software engineers in the team, helping documentation team with the configuration aspects of your feature.
Who You'll Work With
Cisco Enterprise Networking Business (ENB) Group builds cutting edge services routing platforms with huge market share. This group handles all of Cisco product Wireless WAN (5G/4G/LTE) needs and low-end routing platform development, helping Cisco be the market leader in enterprise routing for both wired and wireless WAN.
The Platform and Mobility software team is a group of talented individuals responsible for the architecture, design, implementation and support of all infrastructure and features on the next generation ISR1K Platforms and Wireless WAN across all Cisco platforms.
As a member of this team, you will work on low end enterprise platforms and wireless WAN functionality. You will be working right from the product requirements stage all the way through customer support. You will involve product requirement analysis, SW design and implementation, write technical design documents, and perform tests. You will have an opportunity to get direct customer exposure.
Who You Are?
o Proficient in C/C++, Python, and multithreaded programming, development of algorithms using efficient data structures to come up with optimized code
o Hands on experience on switch/router embedded system software development.
o Excellent working knowledge in cellular technologies LTE/4G/5G, standards
o Familiar with SCM tools, debugging tools like GDB, analyzing core dumps, memory leaks
- Working knowledge of test methodologies, including scripting and automation
- Good understanding of operating system (Unix/Linux) concepts
- Experience in network management systems (cloud and on-prem)
- ConfD understanding is a plus
· Self-motivated, strong sense of ownership, good teammate
· You should be able to own large portions of the software from a technical perspective
· Handle multiple tasks at once and work independently with minimal managerial mentorship.
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
· Strong team building skills. This role requires the ability to work across departments and with other teams
· Be open to continuous learning and committed to ongoing self-improvement.
· Initiate and participate in organizational efforts to improve overall group productivity and test effectiveness. Contribute to overall test strategies
· We connect everything: people, processes, data, and things. We innovate everywhere, taking bold risks to shape the technologies that give us smart cities, connected cars, and handheld hospitals. And we do it in style with rare personalities who aren’t afraid to change the way the world works, lives, plays and learns.
· We are leaders with vision, tech geeks, pop culture aficionados, and we even have a few purple haired rock stars. We celebrate the creativity and diversity that fuels our innovation. We are dreamers and we are doers.
We Are Cisco.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records