Senior Site Reliability Engineer (Dashboard)
Location:London, England, United Kingdom
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestBig Data, Analytics
The Meraki cloud serves millions of customer devices from data centres around the world. As a Senior Site Reliability Engineer on the Meraki Cloud SRE team you will be crafting automated and performant systems that drive an ever-growing global network of the world’s coolest communication products.
You’re passionate about working closely with development teams, from design to debugging complex production issues - and you are excited to get the chance to code real world applications while deep-diving into the glue that holds it all together. You will have an opinion on how things should be built right, and work within the organization to lead people to positive and modern solutions. You embrace the *nix way, you want to automate away tedious tasks, and you build infrastructure-as-code.
In this role you will join our awesome, tightly-knit engineering team based out of our office in London, UK, and have the opportunity to make an impact on your peers in San Francisco and Sydney.
As SREs at Meraki we are responsible for building and scaling the cloud that supports millions of Meraki customers and their devices across the world. Meraki’s customer base has grown by a factor of 2-3 every year, serving more than 4 billion HTTP requests per day across 10+ data centres. Our customers depend on our products to run their critical infrastructure of network switches, security appliances, wireless APs and security cameras.
Example projects of a Senior Site Reliability Engineer (Cloud Platform/Dashboard):
- Lead the discussion about automating and modernizing the tools and applications that help us scale reliably. You design, build and fix the systems and tools that handle failure and scale.
- Advise in the creation and maintenance of the defining metrics ( SLO/SLI’s ) of the Cloud Organization to ensure we are giving our customers the best experiences across the board.
- Deep dive into the discoverability and routing systems that hold things together. You are making an impact into the designs of our future.
- Build and implement frameworks like distributed tracing that help our organization understand how the flow of traffic runs through our systems.
- Break out code and components from our core applications as we move into a microservice world. You might be writing Ruby in order to create a new Gem, or ‘Dockerizing’ a new service.
- Debug a real-world, global web application, triaging issues while working with security or app teams to bring longer term solutions.
- Mentor Junior engineers and do code reviews.
You are an ideal candidate if you:
- Have 6+ years experience designing, deploying and operating mid to large scale enterprise or cloud environments.
- Have 3+ years experience scripting or coding with languages like Ruby, Scala, Go, Python, or Bash.
- Fearlessly dive into other people's source code to solve a problem.
- Know your way around *nix systems.
- You automate all the things.
- You care about the customer experience. You have experience supporting an externally-facing production environment, ideally in a team that follows the sun.
- You empathize with your coworkers, and you are a positive influence on others. Bonus if you like to take your SRE with a joke or two.
- You understand: data structures, databases, networking, filesystems, and web architectures.
- You know - perhaps excited about, or contemplate some of the following technologies: Docker and Docker Orchestration ( Kubernetes, Marathon, etc ), Terraform or Cloudformation, Packer, Chef, Ansible or Puppet, Logging and Graphing, AWS, GCP or Azure.
Keywords: SRE, Site Reliability Engineering, DevOps, ELK, Grafana, Graphite, Ansible, Chef, Ruby, Scala, Docker, Kubernetes, Marathon, Terraform, AWS
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
At Cisco Meraki, we don't just accept difference - it's one of our key values. Everybody In means we listen to each other's opinions. Everybody is accepted and valued here, and we are a team that works as one towards our goals. We recognize that diverse teams make the strongest teams, and we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.