Senior Security Research Engineer
Location:Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
What You'll Do
Our Research & Efficacy team is growing! The new Researcher will aid in efficacy of multiple Cisco security product lines. The new addition will become deeply familiar with the engineering aspects of various cisco security products and will help identify how to detect and prevent emerging tactics and techniques. Get familiar with penetration testing tools, understanding common threat vectors and evolving threat landscape along with a desire to develop robust engines to protect a large customer base is essential.
Who You'll Work With
You will be joining a team of skilled subject matter experts with a diverse background and will have a variety of intelligence tools and a vast set of data-sources at your disposal. You will also be working closely with development teams working with a host of software development tools and technologies and you be the consulted on matters of information security and threat landscape.
Who You Are
- Conduct literature reviews and keep abreast of state of the hack, data sources, data analysis techniques and big data
- Invent and/or apply new techniques to telemetry data on a global scale and identify new security threats
- Interface with fellow security researchers across the team sharing knowledge and participating in joint research efforts
- Provide guidance and engineering support in the development of security detections and prevention capabilities in line with research
- Provide detailed research and direction write-ups to engineering teams in order to implement detection and prevention mechanisms.
- Create and disseminate research and threat briefings to engineers with varying degrees of security knowledge
- Build new and refine existing processes and procedures for the research team specific to product coverage
- Interface Directly with Tier 3 support team to provide resolution of issues with detections and other support cases
- Identify root cause of false-positive detection and false negatives in product, and suggest/implement remediation
- Analyze Network traffic and binaries to identify malicious behavior and characteristics
- Break larger objectives into tasks and manage workflow across a small team
- Suggest product improvements and enhancements through daily activities
- Knowledge of operating system internals including Windows, Linux and Mac OS.
- Prior knowledge or experience with Malware detection or remediation
- Ability to Read and comprehend memory dumps and packet captures
- Ability to Reverse Engineer Binaries with binary debuggers and disassemblers.
- Ability and prior experiencing in writing and validation of threat signatures (Snort, Yara, Clam, OpenIOC)
- Scripting or programing experience in any of the following C, C++, Java, .Net, Golang, Python
- Ability to articulate technical issues to a non-technical audience
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference. Here’s how we do it.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (30 years strong!) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. An AI/Machine Learning company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, we give our egos a break and we give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, we take bold steps, and we take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a commitment to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!