Senior Operations Research Engineer
Location:San Jose, California, US
Area of InterestSupply Chain
Technology InterestBig Data, Analytics
What You'll Do
- You will be part of a best-in-class Technology and Quality Group in Supply Chain Operations and contribute to making high stakes decision and risk analysis on a wide variety of business-critical issues.
- Apply your expertise in operations research, mathematics, statistics, business analysis, risk analysis, and cost benefit analysis to apply mathematical modeling approaches to solve various problems.
- Utilize mathematical methods to illustrate uncertainty using limited data and ensure quality data analysis. Establish clear objectives for analyzing systems and ensure appropriate data collection to support conclusions.
- Develop Modeling and Simulation (M&S) methodologies to address questions and problem statements. Select the appropriate M&S approaches based on system attributes and complexities.
- Apply creative, analytical approaches to make 'insight-to-action' recommendations to achieve the business objective.
- Continuously use expert business/analytical knowledge to test initial solutions with relevant multi-functional team to gain additional insight.
- Engage broadly within the organization to identify and prioritize complex/ambiguous problems where advanced analytic tools can have significant impact.
- Influence the direction of engineering teams and affect change. Collaborate with partners to gather, consolidate and validate business assumptions relevant to the solution strategy throughout the process.
- Effectively communicate recommendations to upper level management and influence business strategy. Incorporate visualization techniques to present the analysis to less technical audiences.
- Participate in industry consortia, conferences and collaborate with academia and other strategic partners to develop new methodologies and influence Cisco’s position in the industry.
- Evaluate and adopt new technologies to help the organization open up the boundaries and drive cutting-edge innovation in technology risk assessment and decision-making.
Who You Will Work With
The Technology and Quality Organization in Supply Chain Operations is a key hub of technical innovation in Cisco. Members of the organization have a wide scope of influence: interacting with Business Units, Product Operations, Manufacturing Operations, Planning and Fulfillment, Supplier Management and directly with Suppliers. In addition, members of the organization participate in industry consortia, conferences and collaborate with academia and other strategic partners. The organization focuses on evaluating and embracing new technologies to help Cisco leapfrog the competition in advanced algorithms and solutions to solve complex problems.
Who You Are
- MS degree in Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering, Economics, Computer Science or related field or equivalent practical experience.
- 2 – 5 years of relevant work experience including:
1. Hands on experience with real life, large scale optimization
2. Statistical software (R, SciPy, SAP HANA, SAS or similar),
3. Databases (SQL)
4. NoSQL technologies, specifically Document (MongoDB) and Graph (Neo4j) types
5. Scripting languages (preferably Python)
6. Machine learning modules (Scikit-Learn, Tensor Flow)
7. Hadoop or other MapReduce paradigms and associated languages such as Pig, Hive and Impala. Apache Spark.
- PhD in Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering, Economics, Computer Science or related field.
- 2 – 5 years of relevant industry experience applying advanced analytics models.
- Applied experience with machine learning on large datasets.
- General Optimization, Inventory Optimization, Multi-Echelon Inventory Optimization (MEIO)
- Commercial optimization software such as Gurobi, AMPL, ModeFrontier, FICO Xpress, ILOG, Barloworld CAST, JDA Transportation Modeler, ILOG CPLEX, Supply Chain Guru, IBM LogicNet.
- Integrated Business Planning Software (SAP/SmartOps, Oracle, Kinaxis, Logility etc.)
- Strong problem-framing, problem-solving and project management skills, with the ability to communicate insights and "so what's" to highly technical management teams.
- Strong customer focus and team collaboration skills.
Experience or training in the following:
- Supervised and Unsupervised Machine Learning
- Neural Networks
- Bayesian Inference
- Queuing Theory
- Causal Inference
- Deep Learning
- Multi-Armed Bandit Algorithms
- Reinforcement Learning
- Markov Chains and Markov Decision Processes
- Monte Carlo Simulations
- Mechanism Design
- Ability to lead by influence without direct reporting chain and advise executive decision makers
- Self-starter, proven ability to work independently on multiple projects and priorities
- Ability to think quickly, respond to changing demands, anticipate future problems, and recommend preventative courses of action
- Excellent communication, project management and metrics design skills
- Ability to create presentations for diverse audiences and varying executive levels to support agile decision-making
At Cisco, each person brings their unique talents to work as a team and make a difference.
Yes, our technology changes the way the world works, lives, plays and learns, but our edge comes from our people.
- We connect everything – people, process, data and things – and we use those connections to change our world for the better.
- We innovate everywhere - From launching a new era of networking that adapts, learns and protects, to building Cisco Services that accelerate businesses and business results. Our technology powers entertainment, retail, healthcare, education and more – from Smart Cities to your everyday devices.
- We benefit everyone - We do all of this while striving for a culture that empowers every person to be the difference, at work and in our communities.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.
Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records
Colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Be you, with us! #WeAreCisco