Senior IT Engineer - Application Performance Management
Location:RTP, North Carolina, US
Area of InterestInformation Technology
In Cisco IT, we have a unique opportunity- we actually get to use the technology we create!
We are Innovators. We drive innovation to propel business transformation while maintaining operational excellence.
We are Accelerators. We accelerate digital solutions to generate cost savings and productivity gains for enterprise growth and success.
We are Transformers. As customer zero, we transform the customer experience by being our own customer first.
With agility, quality, and security, we continuously deliver business outcomes.
Join us in delighting our customers and empowering our employees. Apply today!
What You’ll Do
As a Senior Application Performance Management (APM) Engineer, you will provide the technical thought leadership, establish innovative enterprise-level APM strategy and create effective solutions and practices. You will develop API-driven software integration solutions, drive the application performance management telemetry solution and adoption of validated practices delivering an environment of speed, scale, and quality automated APM services. This is an opportunity for you to work with the best minds and tools in Cisco IT, in a dynamic and interesting field of APM in a Multi-Cloud environment. You will have numerous opportunities to work on new groundbreaking programs that deliver the next generation performance services. Responsibilities include:
- Continuous assessment of emerging new technologies in enterprise APM architecture domain
- Conduct product proof of concepts and value, establish success criteria and provide recommendations
- Conduct performance benchmarking and develop leading-edge solutions
- Work with Development and Infrastructure teams to identify the root cause of breakdowns and maintain system performance
- Be the domain expert on APM and provide technical leadership to the organization and partners
- Provide APM technology direction and integrate into the DevOps model to accelerate APM service delivery
- Build automated APM solutions that can be consumed in a self-service manner
- Write APIs to integrate APM service with other services
- Be the point of contact for critical issues. Mentor team members.
- Participate in root cause analysis of Database/SQL performance problems and recommend a solution for Production as well as Release environments
- Accountable technical leader for continuous service improvement
- Develop automated performance tuning and testing solution for the end-users which can be integrated into development tools
Who You'll Work With
Applications are where the User Experience comes together. Be a part of the APM team that helps in making the applications and databases perform at their peak levels. APM within Cisco IT is focused on providing world-class end-to-end application performance management services for all the business-critical applications and databases running in private, hybrid and public clouds.
Who You Are
The application domain has undergone a radical transformation over the past few years. On the surface, the app looks very simple; however, under the hood, the entire application eco-system is tremendously complex. There are a lot of moving parts and they all have to play well together on this complex MultiCloud platform. From an APM perspective, we need to stitch this all together, and yet have the ability to dissect it and manage it at a per-component level while also maintaining the visibility and ability to manage and optimize it end-to-end. Minimum requirements include:
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent
- 8+ years hands-on and deep APM experience in a diverse and complex infrastructure
- Experience with AppDynamics or similar tool(s) required
- Experience with modern programming languages like Python, Java, etc.
- Experience with building APIs and services using REST, SOAP, etc.
- Experience in end-to-end transaction monitoring and performance management, performance tuning of Front-end and Back-end systems including Java, .Net, Python, Apache, and SQL tuning
- Performance tuning of Open Source DBs (Cassandra, Mongo, PostgreSQL) is a plus
- Knowledge in Java, J2ee, ejb, jsp , jms , xml, web services, Knowledge of Spring, Struts, Hibernate, Ruby, Scala, PHP
- Sound knowledge of business application development and support
- Knowledge of/exposure to various commercial and open source products including Prometheus, Kafka, Spark, Grafana, is a plus.
At Cisco, each person brings their unique talents to work as a team and make a difference.
Yes, our technology changes the way the world works, lives, plays and learns, but our edge comes from our people.
- We connect everything – people, process, data, and things – and we use those connections to change our world for the better.
- We innovate everywhere - From launching a new era of networking that adapts, learns and protects, to building Cisco Services that accelerate businesses and business results. Our technology powers entertainment, retail, healthcare, education and more – from Smart Cities to your everyday devices.
- We benefit everyone - We do all of this while striving for a culture that empowers every person to be the difference, at work and in our communities.
Colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Be you, with us! #WeAreCisco #dicecorp #GIS #SDx #CIPS