Senior Field Application Engineer
Area of InterestEngineer - Network
Technology InterestCloud and Data Center, Software Development, Testing
This is an exciting opportunity to join the technical team of a global leader in coherent optical transmission technology. Acacia is providing disruptive subsystem modules that move data in and between data centers, across metro networks, over record-breaking long distance subsea cables and everything in between. Our FAE will have the opportunity to work directly with technology leaders on the West Coast that are building tomorrow’s cloud service networks and data centers!
The Field Application Engineer (FAE) requires 5 or more years of design/customer support experience in Optical/Network Communications. This is an important position at the company with management visibility. There are three primary functions to the FAE role:
- Document how Acacia solutions work in target customer applications in a manner that customers can easily understand enabling a smooth implementation of our products and technology.
- Comprehend and communicate the effects of systems impairments and consequent actions on high- speed communication systems protocols such as OTN and Ethernet.
- Comprehend and evaluate customer’s systems issues and quickly recommend the best solution. Additionally, the FAE will support Evaluation Board and Module bring up at customer’s labs. Frequently this may result in onsite visits to the customer’s lab to include diagnosing, confirming and solving customer technical issues within the RMA process.
Key Essential Functions
The role of the FAE at Acacia is to provide customer technical support both pre-sale and post-sale.
Pre-sale activities include:
- Provide customer technical support to sales directors on pre-sales technical calls.
- Understand customer requirements and determining the fit of Acacia solutions.
- Feedback to PLM and engineering on customer’s needs in the event of mismatches.
Post-sale activities include:
- Provide technical collateral to customers in support of design activities.
- Train and develop customer skills on Acacia products through communication and education.
- Review customer schematics to confirm adherence to reference designs.
- Create applications notes and/or scripts as required to provide information which is not covered in engineering documents.
- Provide ongoing customer technical support through customer new product introduction phase.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications, Experience, Skills, Education and Certifications
- BSEE/MSEE or higher degree with 5+ years of experience
- Network/System/Sub system level understanding
- Experience with high speed communication systems protocols such as OTN and Ethernet.
- Developing comprehensive working knowledge of coherent optical systems
- Proven ability to write/contribute to product documentation
- Product Specifications, Applications notes, User Manual, White papers
- Evaluation board support, as well as, customer line card support
- Work with engineering, customers and partners to define/specify evaluation board requirements
- Customer Support - Level 1 and 2 support
- Strategic Partner support - establish peer to peer relationships with engineers at Strategic Partners
- Internal/External advocate – ability to advocate for the customer internally while advocating for Acacia externally drawing a deliberate balance between sometimes opposing views and objectives
- Customer RFI/RFP support
- Product Roadmap – contribute feature/function ideas for inclusion in product roadmap
- Excellent verbal and written communications and strong problem solving skills required
- Strong understanding how Acacia solutions work in target customer applications
- Proven problem resolution skills
Special Physical/Travel Requirements
- Travel Required