Senior Design Researcher, Quant Focus - Duo Security
Location:Austin, Texas, US
Additional Location(s)Ann Arbor, MI or Detroit, Michigan
Area of InterestUser Experience Design
Senior Design Researcher with a Quant Focus
Duo Security, now a part of Cisco, is the leading provider of Trusted Access security and multi-factor authentication delivered through the cloud.
Duo’s mission is to make security simple for everyone. We were born from a hacker ethos and a desire to make the Internet a secure place. We believe in empowering people to follow their passions inside and outside of the office and enable every employee to bring their whole self to work.
Our team is our secret weapon. We run the spectrum from artists to analysts, low-key to high energy, and bring together a diversity of skill sets, experiences, and perspectives to solve what we consider to be the world's most pressing geopolitical challenge — transforming the security industry as we know it. Together we build solutions that are easy, effective, trustworthy, and enduring. And that’s why we are the most loved and trusted company in security.
About the team...
As our Product Design team continues to grow in size and influence, our design research needs grow as well. We are currently expanding our practice to ensure we employ rigorous quantitative methods alongside our qualitative methods. We are passionate about understanding human behavior, perceptions, and motivations and translating that into insights that inform product innovation and create customer value.
As a Senior Quantitative Design Researcher at Duo:
● You love understanding why people behave the way they do and help surface questions people didn’t even know they had.
● You are an experienced research professional with a passion for creative and dynamic insights that help teams understand why and how to build better experiences.
● You have the ability to employ a variety of research methods to collect rich data that enable product and design teams to make products our customers love.
● You work closely with Designers, Product Managers, Data Scientists, and Engineers to define thoughtful research at all stages of the product life cycle.
● You aspire to make meaningful improvements in the lives of individuals, teams, and companies who use our product every day to do their most important work.
● Ultimately, you are driven to be an influential partner in helping Duo deliver on its vision to make security an easy and trustworthy experience for all.
In this role you will…
● Define and measure UX goals and success metrics (both qual and quant) over time.
● Execute recurring baseline testing of the product experience.
● Gain insights about the intent of people’s product usage through patterns in the data collected.
● Perform exploratory data analysis to identify opportunities for qualitative research to explore the “whys”.
● Verify and generalize qualitative insights.
● Perform simultaneous insights extraction (from both qual and quant data).
● Mentor others team members on how to apply a mixed methods approach.
● Build a strong partnership and processes of working with the Data Science team.
Skills you have…
● Experience identifying key research questions and objectives in partnership with product, design and engineering teams to define and deliver the research roadmap.
● Experience defining and executing mixed-methods research plans, in order to combine insights from both quantitative and qualitative research.
● Experience conducting baseline (or benchmark) testing of product experiences and measuring the quality of the experience.
● Previous examples that illustrate leveraging a wide variety of quantitative research methodologies to understand user behavior and extract meaningful patterns from large data sets.
● Experience with or a willingness to learn SQL. Our current data tool requires SQL queries.
● Experience with or a willingness to learn Google Analytics or another product analytics tool.
● Experience analyzing and synthesizing data and research into actionable insights that inform and inspire strategic decisions and design solutions.
● Comfortable socializing, collaborating and presenting research work and findings to multiple teams and leaders, across the organization.
Duo is committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of inclusion and connectedness. We are able to grow and learn better together with a diverse team of employees. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, innovation, self-expression, and talent that our employees invest in their work represents not only part of our culture, but our reputation and Duo’s achievement as well. In recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that all potential candidates can bring in terms of their education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, gender identity and expression, nationality, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, religion, disability, sexual orientation and beliefs.
And if this role is exciting to you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet all 100% of the description or qualifications. Finally and most importantly, we are a proud Equal Opportunity Employer.