Senior Corporate Counsel-Technology Acquisition
Location:San Jose, California, US
Area of InterestLegal
Technology InterestCloud and Data Center, Internet of Everything, Service Provider, Software Development, Testing
Job Title: Senior Corporate Counsel, Technology Acquisition Group (Software Supply Chain and Global Procurement)
Location: US, San Jose
What You'll Do
Cisco is moving fast and investing in strategic areas to ensure we collect market transitions and deliver business outcomes to our customers. As billions of things connect to the Internet and as massive amounts of data continue to be distributed ever more widely, our customers are facing challenges around complexity and security. Customers are turning to Cisco to help them reduce their operating expenses and become more agile and, most meaningfully, more secure. Our dedication to solving our customers’ challenges is rooted in our vision to deliver the highly secure intelligent platform for digital business. To do that, we are passionate about reinventing networking, enabling a multi-cloud world, unlocking the power of data, enriching the employee and customer experience, and deploying security everywhere. In all of these things, the network is the common denominator.
Who You’ll Work With
This vision is dependent, among other things, on the company’s global operations infrastructure being highly scaled, digitized, efficient, and reliable—in a phrase: world-class. This includes Global Supply Chain Operations, Global Procurement, Customer & Partner Services, Workplace Resources, IT, and Employee Services. Legal is a key business partner to help these organizations devise strategy and build smart processes and contractual infrastructure by providing smart, outcome-oriented, creative and fast legal support to provide compelling value to our business.
Who You Are
We are looking for a solutions-driven, agile, and talented attorney with software and procurement transactions experience to join our exciting team as Senior Corporate Counsel. The ideal candidate has a sharp business focus, and is proactive, decisive, and highly collaborative. Excellent interpersonal, communication and drafting skills, and the ability to synthesize complex issues and influence and lead across functions are required.
You will develop and implement legal strategies, processes and frameworks to support our Software Supply Chain and Global Procurement businesses. You will structure commercial partnerships with our suppliers, negotiate and draft a wide variety of agreements, and counsel business partners on a wide range of issues. Entrepreneurial by nature, you will have immediate impact with your analytic rigor, business judgment, and ability to get things done.
- 7+ years of relevant legal, in-house and/or law firm experience.
- Ability to understand complex contractual issues, assess risk, and provide concise, plain English, business-focused legal advice.
- Extensive background in software licensing (cloud computing and SaaS experience a plus), commercial transactions, drafting agreements, and intellectual property – particularly on the in-bound side.
- Experience advising clients on a broad range of legal and contractual issues impacting business transactions, with a track record of building business relationships and gaining trust of internal clients.
- Excellent judgment and the ability to craft pragmatic and creative solutions.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize and manage simultaneous projects under deadline pressure; ability to self-start and lead projects.
- Experience working across multiple internal business stakeholders (e.g., finance, operations, other legal functions), across time zones and cultures.
- Exceptional communications and interpersonal skills, strategic thinking, as well as superior time management skills.
- Driven innately to ask: how can we do things better?
- JD with strong academic record required.
- CA Bar admission in good standing.
What will you be doing?
In this role you will be joining a team of outstanding team of lawyers supporting our Software Supply Chain and Global Procurement businesses. You will:
- Structure, draft and negotiate a broad range of licenses, software transactions, and cloud agreements.
- Coordinate with other legal subject matter experts and product counsel attorneys.
- Advise and train software commodity managers, contract negotiators, and other business stakeholders on contract structure and risk.
- Design and improve department processes to drive best practice contracting structures and negotiation strategies.
- Identify and drive strategic initiatives, and build legal frameworks to achieve client goals.
At Cisco, each person brings their unique talents to work as a team and make a difference.
Yes, our technology changes the way the world works, lives, plays and learns, but our edge comes from our people.
We connect everything – people, process, data and things – and we use those connections to change our world for the better.
We innovate everywhere - From launching a new era of networking that adapts, learns and protects, to building Cisco Services that accelerate businesses and business results. Our technology powers entertainment, retail, healthcare, education and more – from Smart Cities to your everyday devices.
We benefit everyone - We do all of this while striving for a culture that empowers every person to be the difference, at work and in our communities.
Be you, with us! #WeAreCisco
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.