Security Solutions Engineer (Intern) - United States
Location:RTP, North Carolina, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestInternet of Everything
What You’ll Do
Everything is converging on the Internet, making networked connections more meaningful than ever before in our lives. Our employees' revolutionary ideas impact everything imaginable - from entertainment, retail, healthcare, and education, to public and private sectors, smart cities, smart cars, and everyday devices in our homes. Here, that means you’ll take creative ideas from the drawing board to powerful solutions that have real world impact. You’ll collaborate with Cisco leaders, partner with experienced mentors, and develop incredible relationships with colleagues who share your interest in connecting the unconnected. You’ll be part a team that cares about its customers, enjoys having fun, and you’ll participate in changing the lives of those in our local communities. Come prepared to be inspired.
Who You'll Work With
Let’s change the world together. Work directly with our customers and gain hands on experience and exposure into their networks. Be immersed in a small close-knit group of cohorts, to collaborate on several projects that have a real impact. You’ll learn from industry experts. We value your ideas, perspective on how to get things done. Work on network infrastructures. Deliver business solutions and technology solutions from data, security, mobility, and the cloud. Our Security Services internship program covers two lines of Service: Advisory and Implementation. To find out more about Cisco Security Services, go to: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/security/service-listing.html
Advisory Services Consultants help our clients take on their complex security needs through world-class expertise, mature methodologies, and advanced research capabilities. Our Risk and Strategy team helps organizations grow mature strategies for dealing with risk and compliance management. The Assessment and Penetration Testing team takes a technical approach to identifying and mitigating vulnerabilities and threats by emulating real-world-attack techniques through penetration testing, application assessments and social engineering. The Incident Response team provides both dedicated and reactive services to organizations to bolster their approach to detecting, mitigating and eradicating security incidents.
What You’ll Do
- Define and assist in small-scale projects to improve operational efforts
- Understand common application, network vulnerabilities and techniques for testing and exploitation
- Practice and emulate real world attack tactics in simulated lab environments
- Become familiar with a number of security testing tools, including Kali Linux, Nmap, Metasploit and BurpSuite
- Help clients assess their level of risk in using technology within the business and provide recommendations to reduce business risks
- Work with clients to strategize on effective controls around people and technology to prevent unnecessary risk while meeting compliance requirements
- Shadow a variety of client engagements including risk assessments, penetration tests, and IR investigations
Implementation Services Consultants with Cisco’s Security Services team bring deep expertise on Cisco security products to our customers. Our team assists customers with developing strategies for deploying new technologies in their environments, assist in designing and implementing new technologies, handle the integration of Cisco technology into existing security portfolios and assist customers in optimizing existing and new security technologies. Our customers expect Cisco to be authorities in security technology…the Integration team are those guides.
What You’ll Do
- Attend on-site design and configuration sessions with a Cisco Security Solutions mentor
- Identify and support in large-scale-design efforts for customer network integrations
- Support in gathering requirements from customers for projects to meet critical business goals
- Work with a security team mentor to define the business goals and requirements for integration efforts
- Configure lab devices with configuration templates or system configurations which will be used in customers’ production implementations
- Aid in analyzing and designing policy creation for Identity Services, Firepower Intrusion Detection, ASA Firewall Rules, and Catalyst Switch Configurations
- Analyze customer configurations and provide feedback on possible improvements or changes to the configuration to improve alignment with customer business goals
- Analyze customer logs or net flow data to advise on improvements aligned with their business goals
Who You Are
- You're currently pursuing a bachelor’s or master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Information Systems (or equivalent) with software development skill set or interest in information security
- You have knowledge of IT systems, networking concepts, TCP/IP protocols, network devices and applications, OSI 7-layer model, or code development
- You have a desire and passion for information security and willingness to learn and teach yourself tough concepts
- You are able to work well in small dynamic teams and balance multiple responsibilities
- You have the ability to work in collaborative teams distributed across the US
- You possess excellent written and verbal skills
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!