Security Research Engineering Technical Leader
Location:RTP, North Carolina, US
Alternate LocationAustin, TX; Knoxville, TN
Area of InterestSecurity
Compensation Range133300 USD - 193500 USD
Technology InterestSecurity, Software Development, Testing
What You'll Do
As a team member of Cisco's Advanced Security Initiatives Group (ASIG), you will evaluate our global products and services to identify security vulnerabilities, weaknesses, and improvements. You will learn to adopt an attacker mentality using tools, techniques, and processes that emulate real-world adversaries. You will work with amazingly creative, innovative, and collaborative security researchers to develop evolving ethical hacking skills and networking product knowledge. You will partner with Cisco's industry-leading engineering teams to assess the latest system and application architectures, contribute to creative security solutions, and gain unparalleled access to and experience with the latest technologies. You will also have opportunities to research security topics independently or collaboratively to explore and develop tools and ideas as part of our "Free Friday" innovation and incubation process.
Who You'll Work With
Our security team is dynamic, hardworking, fun, and high-energy, but the work is done in a very casual environment that strongly encourages a work/life balance. Not only will you work alongside a team of skilled security researchers with a diverse spectrum of talents and experience levels, but you will also be interacting with a variety of engineering teams across Cisco. Cisco ASIG cultivates an environment where every individual's input and experience is valued. We prioritize training sessions and a mentor program surrounding you with the resources you will need to succeed.
Who You Are
Would you enjoy finding security flaws in critical systems, modeling prototype attacks that malicious actors might take advantage of, and crafting mitigations to thwart motivated and inventive adversaries? If you have a passion for computer security, enjoy solving exciting problems, and relish working with emerging technologies, Cisco wants you! Global ISPs, Fortune 500 companies, and world governments all depend on Cisco for critical infrastructure, and we want to guarantee that we keep delivering highly secured solutions to meet their needs.
- 6+ years of security penetration testing experience, including areas like web applications, APIs, user interfaces, and embedded devices
- 6+ years of software engineering or reverse engineering experience with C, C++, or Python/Ruby, or a commonly used programming language, with experience in secure coding/development and code analysis for vulnerabilities
- 6+ years of technical leadership experience in security assessments
Skilled in two or more of following areas:
- Strong understanding of operating system concepts in the areas of memory management, computer architecture, or binary analysis
- 6+ years of hands on Unix experience with a solid understanding of security hardening configurations and capabilities
- 6+ years of experience with applied crypto, through implementation or analysis of crypto algorithms
- 6+ years of experience with network protocols, through implementation or analysis
- 6+ years of experience as a DevOps engineer, with a focus on DevOps security
- OSCP or related industry certifications are a plus.
Other Desired Skills (and/or skills you’ll have a chance to develop)
- Applied architectural security
- Cryptographic algorithm design and review
- Operating system fundamentals and secure configuration
- Security of virtualization platforms and techniques
- Network protocol analysis and debugging
- Web protocols and API security
- Secure development practices
- Software vulnerability assessment, fuzzing, and code analysis
- Exploit development
#WeAreCisco. We are all unique, but collectively we bring our talents to work as a team, to develop innovative technology and power a more inclusive, digital future for everyone. How do we do it? Well, for starters – with people like you!
Nearly every internet connection around the world touches Cisco. We’re the Internet’s optimists. Our technology makes sure the data travelling at light speed across connections does so securely, yet it’s not what we make but what we make happen which marks us out. We’re helping those who work in the health service to connect with patients and each other; schools, colleges and universities to teach in even the most challenging of times. We’re helping businesses of all shapes and size to connect with their employees and customers in new ways, providing people with access to the digital skills they need and connecting the most remote parts of the world – whether through 5G, or otherwise.
We tackle whatever challenges come our way. We have each other’s backs, we recognise our accomplishments, and we grow together. We celebrate and support one another – from big and small things in life to big career moments. And giving back is in our DNA (we get 10 days off each year to do just that).
We know that powering an inclusive future starts with us. Because without diversity and a dedication to equality, there is no moving forward. Our 30 Inclusive Communities, that bring people together around commonalities or passions, are leading the way. Together we’re committed to learning, listening, caring for our communities, whilst supporting the most vulnerable with a collective effort to make this world a better place either with technology, or through our actions.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us! #WeAreCisco
When available, the salary range posted for this position reflects the projected hiring range for new hire salaries in U.S. locations. For non-sales roles, the hiring ranges reflect base salary and do not include bonuses, equity, or benefits. Hiring ranges for sales positions include base and incentive target, and do not include equity or benefits. Individual pay is determined by the candidate's hiring location and additional factors, including but not limited to skillset, experience, and relevant education, certifications or training. Applicants may not be eligible for the full salary range based on their U.S. hiring location. The recruiter can share more details about compensation for the role in your location during the hiring process.