Security Research Engineer
Location:Offsite, Fulton, Maryland, US
Alternate LocationRemote United States
Area of InterestSecurity
Compensation Range94600 USD - 186800 USD
- Research security threats, attacker techniques and tools, 0-day vulnerabilities
- Create advanced signatures and detection content for Snort, ClamAV, AMP, and other Cisco products
- Write in-depth technical advisories about threats and signatures
- Capture network traffic from threats for testing IPS and IDS security effectiveness
- Analyze malware samples and vulnerable binaries using static/dynamic analysis, debuggers
- In-depth experience with vulnerability analysis and common methods of exploiting vulnerabilities, such as Buffer Overflows, Cross-Site Request Forgery, Use-After-Free, XXE
- Extensive knowledge in network traffic analysis using tools such as Wireshark
- Solid knowledge of network, transport, and application layer protocols, such as IP, TCP, LDAP, TLS, RDP, SMB
- Experience with a compiled language (e.g. C, C++, Rust, Go) and a scripting language (e.g. Python, Ruby, Perl)
- Experience with the structure of common file formats, such as PDF, MS Office, EXE, ELF
- Experience with reverse engineering, malware analysis, and relevant tools (e.g. IDA Pro, Binary Ninja, Ghidra, radare2, x64dbg, WinDbg, OllyDbg)
- Experience analyzing assembly code and identifying code patterns in disassembled binaries
- Familiarity with the memory layout and different segments of a running process, such as the stack and the heap
- Basic knowledge of Windows and Linux internals
- Solid technical writing skills
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision and in a small team, taking on additional tasks as required
- 5 years of work experience in the security industry
- Typically, Bachelors + 5 years related experience or Masters + 3 years related experience or equivalent experience.
- Familiarity with asymmetric ciphers (ECC, Diffie-Hellman, etc), symmetric ciphers (AES, DES, etc), and hashing algorithms (MD5, SHA256, etc)
- Experience with Snort rules language
- Experience with intrusion detection or forensic analysis
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Cyber Security, or other tech-related degree
When available, the salary range posted for this position reflects the projected hiring range for new hire, full-time salaries in U.S. locations, not including equity or benefits. For non-sales roles the hiring ranges reflect base salary only; employees are also eligible to receive annual bonuses. Hiring ranges for sales positions include base and incentive compensation target. Individual pay is determined by the candidate's hiring location and additional factors, including but not limited to skillset, experience, and relevant education, certifications, or training. Applicants may not be eligible for the full salary range based on their U.S. hiring location. The recruiter can share more details about compensation for the role in your location during the hiring process.
U.S. employees have access to quality medical, dental and vision insurance, a 401(k) plan with a Cisco matching contribution, short and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance and numerous wellbeing offerings. Employees receive up to twelve paid holidays per calendar year, which includes one floating holiday, plus a day off for their birthday. Employees accrue up to 20 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) each year and have access to paid time away to deal with critical or emergency issues without tapping into their PTO. We offer additional paid time to volunteer and give back to the community. Employees are also able to purchase company stock through our Employee Stock Purchase Program.
Employees on sales plans earn performance-based incentive pay on top of their base salary, which is split between quota and non-quota components. For quota-based incentive pay, Cisco pays at the standard rate of 1% of incentive target for each 1% revenue attainment against the quota up to 100%. Once performance exceeds 100% quota attainment, incentive rates may increase up to five times the standard rate with no cap on incentive compensation. For non-quota-based sales performance elements such as strategic sales objectives, Cisco may pay up to 125% of target. Cisco sales plans do not have a minimum threshold of performance for sales incentive compensation to be paid.