Network Security Engineer - Firewall Support
Location:RTP, North Carolina, US
Alternate LocationAustin TX, Fulton
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
What You'll Do
You will help us resolve some of our customers' most complicated issues. The Cisco Security Escalations team seeks a talented engineer to help drive customer success, product quality and improvements for the Next Generation Intrusion Prevention System (NGIPS), Next Generation Firewall (NGFW) and Firepower Threat Defense (FTD) platforms.
Who You'll Work With
Our team works with Cisco Support and other teams within the Engineering organization to solve, debug, and resolve a wide array of issues encountered by product users. You will also have an opportunity to guide new feature implementation from inception and design, to implementation.
- Identify and fix problems in released products through troubleshooting and code analysis.
- Work with peers to investigate and drive critical issues to resolution.
- Build debug binaries and scripts to aid in identification of customer facing issues.
- Reproduce customer issues escalated from support.
- Work with customers and support teams to capture sufficient information to reproduce customer problems.
- Work with Product Development teams to identify product serviceability/usability issues and address quality problems.
- Work with teams to provide feedback and mentorship on new features.
- Work with test teams to build system test cases to prevent future occurrences of identified bugs.
- Help facilitate problem solving and collaborate within the team.
- Provide technical mentorship to junior members of the team.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- At least 3-5 years of experience in a technical role in a software-related field
- Strong troubleshooting and analytical skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to learn new skills and apply them quickly
- Ability to understand legacy code to identify and fix problems
- C/C++ experience
- Experience with Perl or equivalent language
- Proven proficiency with Linux shell scripting languages
- Solid understanding of networking architecture such as routing/switching, IP,TCP/UDP and application layers such as HTTP, SMTP, etc.
- Experience with Ethernet packet-based analysis
- Fundamental understanding of network security principles
We connect everything: people, processes, data, and things. We innovate everywhere, taking bold risks to shape the technologies that give us smart cities, connected cars, and handheld hospitals. We do this in style with unique personalities who aren't afraid to change the way the world works, lives, plays and learns. We are leaders with vision, tech geeks, pop culture aficionados, and we even have a few purple haired rock stars. We celebrate the creativity and diversity that fuels our innovation. We are dreamers and we are doers.