SRE - NoSQL Database Engineer
Area of InterestInformation Technology
The Business Entity
It’s an exciting time to be a part of Cisco IT’s Database and Replication Services. Our team is responsible to build and operate Hybrid Cloud Database services in a DevSecOps model. We are enabling Cloud Native Infrastructure within Cisco.
Who You Are
You are a success driven Site Reliability Engineer with proven leadership skills and who has a passion for enterprise cloud database platform automation and DevOps frameworks. You have a proven track record of designing, developing and managing NoSQL Database Ops code using open source technologies.
What you’ll do
Site Reliability Engineers are responsible and take ownership for reliability, scalability, automation, and other issues related to uptime and availability of our database services. You will need to have strong skills in following areas:
• Design, write and build tools to improve the reliability, availability and scalability of our NoSQL Cloud Database Offerings.
• Augment existing instrumentation to build a cohesive picture of the characteristics of our systems with special attention to points of failure.
• Design and develop improvements, focused on resilience, to our production systems to achieve and surpass SLOs
• Help improve our operational practices to minimize service disruptions
• Work with our Service Assurance team to modernize and improve our monitoring and alerting stack.
• Design new tools to monitor and smart alerts that help discover failures or issues before our customers.
• Work with engineers to identify root cause and fix issues
• Influence, design and create new architectures, standards and methods for large-scale enterprise systems.
• Maintain services once they are live by measuring and monitoring availability, latency and overall system health.
Who you will work with
We are a DevOps team inside Cisco IT, building the next generation NoSQL Databases on cloud platform that will be leveraged by all of Cisco as we move to cloud native applications. This is a small team of highly motivated individuals leveraging Agile scrum. We move at a fast pace and are passionate about cloud and automation. We have a history of building clouds at a large scale and are looking for someone with just as much passion about cloud as we have.
• Solid grasp of MongoDB Architecture and Administration – Design, Provisioning, Upgrading, Operating, Backups, Security, Performance etc
• Experience with automating DB tasks using python, Database Lifecycle Management, MongoDB OPS Manager
• Experience with configuration automation using Ansible
• Experience with building scalable databases using hybrid cloud infrastructure
• Experience with CI/CD framework and tools like Git, Jenkins
• Experience with public cloud like AWS, GCP, or Azure
• Exposure to Agile development practices
• Working with geographically distributed teams
• Understand IT processes, including: architecture, design, implementation, and operations
• Self-motivated, able and willing to help where help is needed
• Able to build relationships, be culturally sensitive, have goal alignment, have learning agility
Typically requires BS/BA and 7+yrs of relevant experience.
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an expansive future for all.
We adopt digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!