Quantum Intern - Bachelors - Feltham - UK
Location:Feltham, United Kingdom
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestAI or Artificial Intelligence, Big Data, Analytics, Software Development, Testing, Wireless, Mobility
Start Date: July 2022
Cisco Quantum intern job description
We are a part of Emerging Technologies and Incubation Group focused on identifying breakthrough emerging solutions that create new markets and businesses for Cisco. We incubate these new opportunities in partnership with our business groups, partners, and other start-ups. The team also continues to progress Cisco’s important work with Standards bodies and lead research partnerships with ground-breaking Universities
What You'll Do
We are looking for a 1 year Placement Intern with coding experience and a strong interest in Quantum technologies to join us. You will be an integral part of the Quantum Networking team, joining us at an existing stage of the technologies’ journey and responsible for simulating, developing, and testing new protocols for quantum networks. The right candidate has a collaborative spirit, thrives in dynamic environments, and can be counted on when the going gets tough. The ideal candidate is also a phenomenal communicator with terrific follow-through who can optimize on workflow and/or document changes concisely. This role is essential to our research in the field.
- Attending CQN (Center of Quantum Networks) calls and discussion groups with the purpose to strengthen and improve you understanding of the state of the art quantum networking arena, as well as to discuss projects and papers in work within US member universities.
- Creating NetSquid based simulations. NetSquid is a discrete event simulator based in Python that recreated potential quantum networks. No previous NetSquid experience is required for this role.
- Reading and sorting through papers to prepare for team discussions.
Our minimum requirements for this role:
You must be a STEM student (Physics, Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science, …) and able to take on your industrial placement in the 2022/2023 academic year.
- An interest in Quantum technologies
- Understanding or desire to learn about networking
- Resilience and eagerness to learn
- Able to navigate complex mathematical representations
- Creative problem solver
- Team player
- Hands on Python3 experience and fluency is crucial.
Our Desired Skills are:
- Command line coding experience or an interest to learn, will be essential for remote machine control, given the size of the simulations.
- Strong mathematics background will be beneficial when working through papers and collaborating with internal and external teams.
- Experience in C and/or C++ are advantageous, but not necessary.
- Additional simulation experience in Python would be of use.
At Cisco, each person brings their unique talents to work as a team and make a difference.
Yes, our technology changes the way the world works, lives, plays and learns, but our edge comes from our people.
- We connect everything – people, process, data and things – and we use those connections to change our world for the better.
- We innovate everywhere - From launching a new era of networking that adapts, learns and protects, to building Cisco Services that accelerate businesses and business results. Our technology powers entertainment, retail, healthcare, education and more – from Smart Cities to your everyday devices.
- We benefit everyone - We do all of this while striving for a culture that empowers every person to be the difference, at work and in our communities.
Cisco in the Quantum arena:
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!
The health and safety of Cisco's employees, customers, and partners is a top priority. Our goal is to protect and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 infection for strong business resiliency during the pandemic. Therefore, Cisco may require new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if the role requires business-related travel, meeting with customers/partners (including visiting third-party sites on behalf of Cisco), attending trade events, and Cisco office entry, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law, and in countries where COVID-19 vaccination is legally required. The company will consider legally required accommodations/exceptions for medical, religious, and other reasons as per the requirements of the role and in accordance with applicable law. Additional information will be provided to candidates about the requirements and accommodation process at the offer time based on region.