Location:Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Area of InterestEngineer - Hardware
Technology InterestSecurity, Software Development, Testing
Who We Are
Cisco enjoys a unique position and is leveraging our unprecedented capability to secure the network through intelligence derived from data collected on a global scale. Billions of times a day, computers around the world communicate with the Cisco Advanced Malware Protection Cloud and rely on the AMP product to protect them against advanced forms of malware. Some malware is straightforward to identify, but antivirus has done that forever. Our customers need protection against malware that is tricky to identify, such as:
- Viruses that generate different binaries on every machine they infect
- Things that seem benign until you start looking closely at their behavior/pattern
- Malicious programs that have invented new ways of hiding themselves
To make the problem even more interesting - it may only become clear after a few days that a program or behavior was malicious. Does finding that sound fun to you?
Who You'll Work With
The Cisco AMP engineering team is a collaborative team that is a part of the world’s largest security organization. You will have the opportunity to work in a diverse and thriving work culture that fosters team empowerment, self-organization and decision-making. You will be part of an established but growing organization that continues to be a leader in the security industry. We expect high performance and drive during business hours, but we believe high performance comes from having time to rest and recharge. We are involved with all stages of the product development process with a focus on driving quality improvements that delight our customers.
What You’ll Do
Our team is looking for a Software Automated Test Developer who will understand different applications, system behavior, and who will help put automation in place to test these applications/systems. You will be debugging and gaining a deep understanding in nuanced behavior of various systems in isolation and at scale. We want you to be as creative as possible to break complex systems and drive quality for our team.
Do you love learning and working with technologies like the following?
- Distributed and clustered datastores
- Full-stack debugging
- Network capture and analysis
- Low-latency networked applications
If using those to help improve computer security sounds exciting, this is the place for you.
What does an ideal candidate look like?
- You are self-motivated, result-driven and engaged individual and enjoy collaborating in a team-based environment.
- You want to get to the bottom of things, understand what's going on, and make a difference.
- You are someone who doesn't give up when faced with complex problems.
- Possesses a strong interest in computer software outside of a work environment
- Loves to take challenges head-on, troubleshoot problems and innovate solutions
- Great self-learner
- Thinks about security and scalability all the time
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or relevant stream, or equivalent work experience
- 2+ years of experience in software development or testing role
- Experience with Linux or Unix-based operating systems
- Work closely across teams through the design and development process
Nice to have
- Experience in automation test development using Python or Ruby
- Experience working with deployed production clouds
- Experience with white box testing
- Testing and/or configuration of security products
- Testing of cloud based distributed systems
- Production experience with distributed datastores
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!