Product Software Firmware/Features Intern Fall 2023, FY24 (Meraki)
Location:San Francisco, California, US
Alternate LocationChicago, IL or Remote, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Compensation Range44000 USD - 130000 USD
Technology InterestNetworking, Software Development
Cisco Meraki Business Unit
The modern world runs on the Internet, and the Internet cannot exist without its underlying infrastructure. Meraki makes setting up, managing, and maintaining that infrastructure easier than it has ever been before. Meraki enables connectivity everywhere from neighborhood cafes to education institutions to global hospitality groups operating thousands of sites.
As a Full Stack Engineer at Meraki, you will help craft and build features for Meraki's Dashboard - the window to the entire Meraki experience. From Dashboard, our customers can control their entire Meraki stack: access points, switches, firewalls, client devices, cameras, and more. You will work across the stack with other developers, UX designers, and product management to build and improve the Dashboard web application. Meraki engineers put the customer experience first, own projects from beginning to end, and are empowered to make impactful decisions.
Meraki believes that the quality of our product is dependent on the quality of our engineers. We place a high value on nurturing the growth and development of everyone on our team. We foster an open and supportive workplace where everybody is given the opportunity to succeed.
Example projects of a Full Stack Web Developer Intern:
* Create services to fetch data from millions of Meraki devices, then present that data in a user-friendly way
* Improve performance and efficiency of our backend, allowing us to handle increasingly large datasets with minimal delay
* Build internal frameworks and refine front end infrastructure to augment developer productivity
* Construct API endpoints to allow Meraki users and third party companies to build custom tools and features
* Build a dashboard for anomaly / outlier detection on network traffic using machine learning algorithms
* Build a graph for network traffic analysis using clustering and other algorithms
You are an outstanding applicant if:
* You are pursuing a technical bachelors degree or have equivalent experience with a strong foundation in the fundamentals of computer science -OR- pursuing a software/coding boot camp (or educational training program) and/or technical associates degree with a strong foundation in the fundamentals of computer science. Individuals who have completed the relevant networking boot camp within the last 6 months will be considered
* You strive to build rich and dynamic web applications with front-end frameworks such as React, Redux, Ember, or Angular
* You are familiar with programming languages and web frameworks like Ruby (Rails, EventMachine), Python (Django, Flask), or Node.js (Express)
* You have worked with SQL and relational Databases
* You would flourish within a small engineering team and are excited to tackle open-ended problems
* Authorized to work in the U.S. without requiring sponsorship now or in the future
*Individuals pursuing a master's degree will not be considered
Intern Program Overview:
Meraki interns and co-ops join the team for 12 and 16 week programs, respectively, and are placed directly onto subteams. During the program, interns/co-ops have the opportunity to work on a small starter project, such as integration and implementation of new tools, before spending the majority of the program on a larger project, such as building the infrastructure for a new service. Projects are cross functional, which allow insight into new languages and technologies, help encourage professional growth within engineering, and allow a sense of ownership within the team.
Meraki’s engineering teams place a high emphasis on mentorship. Each intern and co-op is matched 1:1 with a mentor who provides continual feedback and guidance throughout the duration of the program. Mentors help with introductions to other team members, overviews of tools and processes, and provide a seamless integration into Meraki life.
* Housing Assistance
* Competitive salary
* Weekly social events inside and outside of the office (Giants games, Exploratorium tickets, friendly soccer games)
* Lunch and dinner daily
* Customized laptop and desk setups
* Medical coverage plan
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
When available, the salary range posted for this position reflects the projected hiring range for new hire, full-time salaries in U.S. locations, not including equity or benefits. For non-sales roles the hiring ranges reflect base salary only; employees are also eligible to receive annual bonuses. Hiring ranges for sales positions include base and incentive compensation target. Individual pay is determined by the candidate's hiring location and additional factors, including but not limited to skillset, experience, and relevant education, certifications, or training. Applicants may not be eligible for the full salary range based on their U.S. hiring location. The recruiter can share more details about compensation for the role in your location during the hiring process.
U.S. employees have access to quality medical, dental and vision insurance, a 401(k) plan with a Cisco matching contribution, short and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance and numerous wellbeing offerings. Employees receive up to twelve paid holidays per calendar year, which includes one floating holiday, plus a day off for their birthday. Employees accrue up to 20 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) each year and have access to paid time away to deal with critical or emergency issues without tapping into their PTO. We offer additional paid time to volunteer and give back to the community. Employees are also able to purchase company stock through our Employee Stock Purchase Program.
Employees on sales plans earn performance-based incentive pay on top of their base salary, which is split between quota and non-quota components. For quota-based incentive pay, Cisco pays at the standard rate of 1% of incentive target for each 1% revenue attainment against the quota up to 100%. Once performance exceeds 100% quota attainment, incentive rates may increase up to five times the standard rate with no cap on incentive compensation. For non-quota-based sales performance elements such as strategic sales objectives, Cisco may pay up to 125% of target. Cisco sales plans do not have a minimum threshold of performance for sales incentive compensation to be paid.