Product Counsel- Networking, Security & Cloud
Location:San Jose, California, US
Area of InterestLegal
Technology InterestCloud and Data Center, Internet of Everything, Networking, Service Provider
What You'll Do
The breadth of responsibilities for Product Counsel starts at product inception and goes through product development, launch and the product end-of-life. You will work closely with various product manager, engineering, business development and go-to-market teams to provide the required legal support, which includes consideration of privacy, data protection, intellectual property and regulatory issues. You will also play a meaningful role in crafting policies to help the legal department improve go-to-market motions and scale as Cisco continues to grow and evolve its software and SaaS businesses
During any given week you may also work with our sales legal team to respond to customer or partner product transactions; educate customers and partners about the legal framework that supports our product portfolio; partner with Cisco’s regulatory or privacy counsel to improve and build new policies; and work with corporate development team to integrate newly acquired businesses.
Provide mentorship to product management and engineering teams in the Networking, Security and Cloud business units on issues related to new and existing on-premise and cloud-based software applications. Daily work includes:
- Build and maintain positive relationships with our product development and engineering teams and advise multiple levels of management on legal issues.
- Develop a strong understanding of product functionality and applicable legal/regulatory limitations.
- Work with the privacy office to implement privacy compliance and privacy by design principles.
- Review and negotiate agreements with strategic partners and customers.
- Assist with acquisition and integration of products, content, services and technologies, including due diligence and integration related to mergers and acquisitions.
- Build cross-functional relationships with operations, finance, supply chain, IP and other members of the legal team to help drive efficient practices.
Who You'll Work With
With the explosion of connected devices, multiple cloud environments and ever-increasing security threats, IT environments are more complex than ever. The network is what connects all of these, which is why Cisco has a greater opportunity to play a more relevant — and critical — role in helping connect everything and everyone. Whether we're creating new products or helping customers meet their business goals, people at Cisco are collaborators at heart. Our global teams are constantly coming together to solve problems and develop business solutions that provide compelling value to our customers and partners. Interested in joining us on this mission?
Cisco is seeking a highly motivated, solutions-driven and tech-savvy attorney who is excited about working in a dynamic environment with a team of lawyers supporting three of Cisco’s businesses - Networking, Security and Cloud – which are central to Cisco’s mission to deliver highly secure and intelligent IT platforms for digital businesses and countries around the world.
Who You Are
The candidate must have excellent legal and business judgment, possess strong critical thinking and writing skills, and maintain a proven work ethic. You should be able to work independently as well as collaboratively and flexibly in a collegial, fast-paced and rapidly changing environment, and adapt your approach and demeanor to match shifting demands of different situations and varied personalities. You need to have excellent communication skills (oral and written) and advanced interpersonal and influencing abilities to build trusted relationships both within and outside the legal department. Success requires self-motivation, self-reliance, confidence, diligence and a passion to learn about new technologies and businesses. Required qualifications include:
- J.D. and excellent academic credentials.
- State Bar member in good standing and eligibility to practice in California.
- 6-8 years of relevant legal, in-house and law firm experience.
- Substantial software and SaaS experience including open source software, preferably in the technology industry.
- Experience with privacy and data protection issues, including strong knowledge of global privacy laws, particularly GDPR.
- Solid knowledge of intellectual property laws.
- Strong collaborator who will work closely with product management and engineers to develop a deep understanding of product portfolio.
- Intellectual curiosity to learn about new technologies and understand product architecture.
- Validated leadership skills and track record for building business relationships and gaining client trust.
- Practical business judgment and understanding of the difference between legal requirements and business risk.
- Strong organizational and program management skills and the ability to prioritize and handle several simultaneous projects for multiple businesses under deadline pressure.
At Cisco, each person brings their unique talents to work as a team and make a difference.
Yes, our technology changes the way the world works, lives, plays and learns, but our edge comes from our people.
- We connect everything – people, process, data and things – and we use those connections to change our world for the better.
- We innovate everywhere - from launching a new era of networking that adapts, learns and protects, to building services that accelerate businesses and business results. Our technology powers entertainment, retail, healthcare, education and more – from Smart Cities to your everyday devices.
- We benefit everyone - We do all of this while striving for a culture that empowers every person to be the difference, at work and in our communities.
Colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Be you, with us! #WeAreCisco
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.
Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.