Principal Engineer - Integrated Photonics - Acacia
Location:Holmdel, New Jersey, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Hardware
Compensation Range211600 USD - 314200 USD
Technology InterestCloud and Data Center
Acacia Communications (now part of Cisco) is looking for a principal engineer to work on research and development of integrated photonics, particularly with III-V semiconductor lasers and amplifiers, for optical communications. Experience with III-V semiconductor active device design, testing, and production is required. Experience with III-V-Si photonics integration and/or packaging is a plus.
Key Essential Functions:
- Device-level modeling of III-V quantum well laser and amplifier devices, including optical gain / loss, electrical carrier considerations, mode confinement, etc.
- Module-level modeling of III-V quantum well laser and amplifier modules, including optical, electrical, and thermal performance.
- Designing and modeling photonics integrated circuits on III-V and silicon photonics.
- Developing processes and designs for heterogeneous integration of III-V devices and silicon photonic circuits with commercial partners.
- Transitioning prototypes into mass production with high yield and low cost.
Essential Qualifications, Experience, Skills, Education and Certifications:
- Ph.D. or master’s degree in optical engineering, physics, electrical engineering or equivalent work experience on semiconductor lasers
- Experience with semiconductor laser / amplifier development and production
- Deep understanding of laser physics, solid-state physics, waveguide design, and opto-electronics
- Experience with laser / amplifier simulations, including optical gain and loss, electrical carriers, mode confinement, etc
- Familiarity with laser / amplifier characterization and testing
- Extensive experience in design of photonic integrated circuits in III-V
- Experience with III-V-Si integration is preferred
#WeAreCisco. We are all unique, but collectively we bring our talents to work as a team, to develop innovative technology and power a more inclusive, digital future for everyone. How do we do it? Well, for starters – with people like you!
Nearly every internet connection around the world touches Cisco. We’re the Internet’s optimists. Our technology makes sure the data travelling at light speed across connections does so securely, yet it’s not what we make but what we make happen which marks us out. We’re helping those who work in the health service to connect with patients and each other; schools, colleges and universities to teach in even the most challenging of times. We’re helping businesses of all shapes and size to connect with their employees and customers in new ways, providing people with access to the digital skills they need and connecting the most remote parts of the world – whether through 5G, or otherwise.
We tackle whatever challenges come our way. We have each other’s backs, we recognise our accomplishments, and we grow together. We celebrate and support one another – from big and small things in life to big career moments. And giving back is in our DNA (we get 10 days off each year to do just that).
We know that powering an inclusive future starts with us. Because without diversity and a dedication to equality, there is no moving forward. Our 30 Inclusive Communities, that bring people together around commonalities or passions, are leading the way. Together we’re committed to learning, listening, caring for our communities, whilst supporting the most vulnerable with a collective effort to make this world a better place either with technology, or through our actions.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us! #WeAreCisco
When available, the salary range posted for this position reflects the projected hiring range for new hire salaries in U.S. locations. For non-sales roles, the hiring ranges reflect base salary and do not include bonuses, equity, or benefits. Hiring ranges for sales positions include base and incentive target, and do not include equity or benefits. Individual pay is determined by the candidate's hiring location and additional factors, including but not limited to skillset, experience, and relevant education, certifications or training. Applicants may not be eligible for the full salary range based on their U.S. hiring location. The recruiter can share more details about compensation for the role in your location during the hiring process.