Optics Reliability Engineer
Location:Allentown, Pennsylvania, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Hardware
What You'll Do
Cisco is looking for an expert Optics Reliability Engineer to qualify the next generation of optical transceiver products. You will use your knowledge and experience in Optics design, manufacturing, testing and reliability to evaluate new product designs for potential failure modes, develop Qualification plans and work closely with Design and Process Development teams to ensure product reliability. The Reliability Engineer will use reliability methods to design DOEs and stress tests to evaluate the reliability performance of these designs and will also be responsible for qualification of the optical sub-assemblies and optical transceiver modules.
You should be able to evaluate and quantify major failure modes or potential failure modes. You should be able to suggest mitigation plans for the modes and demonstrate ability to lead multi-functional teams to resolve the issues of reliability. You should also have hands-on experience in transceiver module testing, test data analysis and reliability modeling.
Who You'll Work With
You will work with highly partnering, multi-functional engineering, operations and supply chain teams to drive contemporary and next generation Silicon Photonics based Optical Transceiver technologies. The role has a large scope, cross-organizational visibility and ability to influence and drive critical optical technologies for Cisco's various Optical platforms.
Who You Are
- You have experience in DFMEA (Design Failure Modes and Effects Analysis) and DfR (Design for Reliability).
- You have experience using statistical software to evaluate process and design reliability and calculate time to failures and FIT.
- You have experience using a reliability analysis tool such as Reliasoft. Reliasoft is desired
- You are familiar with using a Relex tool or a SR332 Excel spreadsheet to calculate expected module piece part FITs or MTBF.
- You have experience with Optical Transceiver Module testing, including traffic tests, BER, Extinction Ratio, Optical Eye measurements etc.
- Experience with test set-ups, fault-finding and hardware debug. You should be able to understand test methodologies and be able to execute a full module qualification plan.
- You have experience with environmental stress testing methods. Understand shock and vibration parameters, ESD testing methods, dust testing, mixed flowing gases testing and optical parameters for pass/fail evaluation of optical modules.
- You are experienced in optical component technologies, interconnect quality requirements and reliability test methodologies. Silicon Photonics packaging or reliability assessment experience is a plus.
- Proven ability to work with multi-functional teams.
- Good communication and influencing skills are a requirement.
- Project/Program management skills
- Analytical skills- you should be capable of analyzing a problem, assessing risk and developing mitigation plans
- Ability to effectively rationalize decisions that impact revenue, customers, suppliers, and other Cisco teams.
At Cisco, each person brings their rare talents to work as a team and make a difference.
Yes, our technology changes the way the world works, lives, plays and learns, but our edge comes from our people.
- We connect everything – people, process, data and things – and we use those connections to change our world for the better.
- We innovate everywhere - From launching a new era of networking that adapts, learns and protects, to building Cisco Services that accelerate businesses and business results. Our technology powers entertainment, retail, healthcare, education and more – from Smart Cities to your everyday devices.
- We benefit everyone - We do all of this while striving for a culture that empowers every person to be the difference, at work and in our communities.
Colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Be you, with us! #WeAreCisco
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and you will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis.
Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, all applicants who meet qualifications with arrest and conviction records.