Optical Automation Engineer
Location:San Jose, California, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Hardware
Technology InterestCloud and Data Center, Networking
Title: Optical Automation Engineer
Responsible for the development and feasibility demonstration of assembly processes to be used in Cisco’s Silicon Photonic technology. Initial area of focus will be on equipment development, including high precision fixture design, for alignment of optical fibers to the Silicon Photonic Optical IC for the next generation products.
- Initial area of focus is developing equipment & prototyping process for the optical alignment and attach of optical fiber arrays to the Silicon Photonics IC.
- Work with various suppliers for semi-automated motion control equipment, visioning and sensors.
- Interface closely with Cisco software programmers regarding custom laboratory equipment
- Design and coordinate the fabrication of high precision fixtures and tooling for part handling and optical alignment using 3D SolidWorks models.
- Evaluate optical alignment test methods to evaluate the performance of assemblies. Analyze and document data generated to communicate results to a broad interdisciplinary design team.
- Manage prototype builds on laboratory equipment to support forward looking concept evaluations and early product demonstrations.
- Contribute to the design of new innovative products using Cisco Silicon Photonics Technology. Work with interdisciplinary team on component design, material selection, process development, and evaluation of concepts & NPI designs.
- Minimum Qualifications:
- BS or MS in mechanical or materials engineering.
- 3+ years of relevant experience in the assembly of optical devices for fiber-based systems.
- Experience with equipment used in semi-automated optical alignment, stage motion control, power meters, power supplies, TECs (Thermo-Electric Coolers) & controllers.
- Experience handling single mode, multimode, and PM fiber.
- Experience with visioning equipment.
- Familiarity with statistical process control methods is a plus.
- Familiarity with actuator and precision linear and rotary stages is a plus.
- Familiarity with the effects of thermal expansion and vibration is a plus.
- Basic understanding of how to tune a servo loop on basic PID tuning and effects of resonances, notch filters and bandwidth.
- Experience with SolidWorks CAD modeling.
- Good planning and organizational skills.
- Team player with excellent verbal & written communications skills including the ability to work effectively across teams at multiple international sites.
- Some travel may be required when allowed by government & corporate guidelines.
- Location: San Jose, CA