Openstack DevOps Engineer - Python and Hybrid Cloud - 8+ yrs
Area of InterestInformation Technology
Technology InterestCloud and Data Center
Title: Openstack DevOps Engineer
Who we are
Today’s challenging business environment is more than that – it’s a period of disruption between the pandemic, global business change and internal process complexity. For us to focus on simplicity and the best customer experience, we need great talent and the right skillsets to be successful. This is now a mantra for our Cisco leadership team and for us.
Cisco is transforming its platforms to run the next generation of cloud-native and multi-cloud services. This role offers a superb opportunity to transform how infrastructure platforms are developed and managed with full software automation.
This team is responsible for building, deploying and managing a large enterprise grade private cloud infrastructure within Cisco data center, which caters to Cisco’s “Business Critical” applications available both internally and externally. The platform provides a very close public cloud experience to Cisco employees and at the same time is highly available with self-healing, full lifecycle monitoring, and management capabilities.
Who you will work with
You will be working within the Broad Cloud Infrastructure Engineering team; a globally distributed group working collaboratively to develop and manage the multi clouds. Making use of the best Cisco has to offer by integrating these products with the wider spectrum of 3rd Party services to provide a best-in-class Cloud service.
It’s an exciting time to be a part of Cisco IT’s Next Gen Cloud Service team. Next Gen Cloud Service team is responsible to build and operate OpenStack clouds on Cisco ACI SDN in a DevSecOps model. Everything we do is through pipeline driven code.
What you’ll Do
You will be a member of a software engineering team that develops tools and integrations for a portfolio of cloud infrastructure services running Cisco’s critical business services.
You are an Openstack Engineer with extensive experience in enterprise-level Private & Public Cloud setup to join a dynamic and agile team of talented engineers developing, deploying platform automation and tools that support cloud infrastructure both On-Prem (Openstack) and Public Cloud (AWS/GCP).
You should have proven experience with Python and Puppet.
- Collaborate with other core services team members to define roadmaps, write clear user stories with well-defined acceptance criteria, design, and build solutions
- Develop and deliver software required for building & improving the functionality, reliability, availability, and manageability of applications and cloud platforms using a DevOps model for both On-Prem (Openstack) and Public Cloud(AWS/GCP).
- Ensure the quality, performance, robustness, and scalability of the services you implement
- Automate the development, testing, and deployment processes through CI/CD pipelines (Git, GitLab, Jenkins, Helm, ArgoCD)
- Champion and drive the adoption of Infrastructure as Code (IaaC) practices and mindset
- Applies global knowledge of IT Infrastructure to develop standard solutions that can be leveraged across multiple areas; Contributes to the development of new technical principles and concepts
- Looks at new and emerging technology and determine group applicability
- Proactively engages and/or creates cross-functional teams to solve problems or add business value
- Generates ideas and/or technical strategies and presents them to his/her peers for feedback
- Influences others to support/implement ideas and/or technical strategies through collaboration with managers and peers in the organization
- Creating standards and policies and influencing technology decisions beyond own functional area or project; Practice DevOps supporting application from development through the operation lifecycle
- Responsible for determining and setting SLO’s for the infrastructure, creating adequate monitoring and logging for features so that SLO can successfully be measured
Required Skills and Experience
- Solid cloud infrastructure background and operational, fixing and problem-solving experience
- Exp required – 8+yrs ,Relevant - 5+ yrs
- Software development lifecycle including design, development, testing, packaging, deployment, upgrade and support.
- OpenStack development and operations experience
- Strong software development experience in Python.
- Ability to write patches for Openstack in python and contribute to community.
- Working with opensource community for bug fixes / enhancement etc.
- Experience with software-defined storage with Ceph or other cloud-based storage.
- Hypervisor technologies including KVM
- Redhat Enterprise Linux and/or CentOS build, development, and operations
- Experience in building and maintaining code distribution through automated pipelines
- Experience with Ansible or Puppet for configuration management
- Software-defined network technologies including OVS, OVN, NFV, etc.
- IaaC experience – Terraform, Ansible, Git, GitLab, Jenkins, Helm, ArgoCD, Conjur/Vault
- Experience in deploying and managing (IaaS) infrastructure in Private/Public Cloud using Openstack.
- Bachelor’s degree in CS/CE/EE or equivalent work experience is required; Advanced degree strongly preferred
- Agile software development practices.
- Work with geographically distributed teams.
- Understand IT processes, including Design, implementation, and Operations.
- Opensource development experience
- Ambitious, able and willing to help where help is needed
- Able to build relationships, be culturally sensitive, have goal alignment, have learning agility
- Ready to rock and build an amazing product
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an expansive future for all.
We adopt digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!
The health and safety of Cisco's employees, customers, and partners is a top priority. Our goal is to protect and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 infection for strong business resiliency during the pandemic. Therefore, Cisco may require new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if the role requires business-related travel, meeting with customers/partners (including visiting third-party sites on behalf of Cisco), attending trade events, and Cisco office entry, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law, and in countries where COVID-19 vaccination is legally required. The company will consider legally required accommodations/exceptions for medical, religious, and other reasons as per the requirements of the role and in accordance with applicable law. Additional information will be provided to candidates about the requirements and accommodation process at the offer time based on region.