Network Support Engineer (Weekend Coverage) |ThousandEyes
Area of InterestCustomer Experience
Technology InterestCloud and Data Center, Networking, Security
About ThousandEyes (part of Cisco)
The name ThousandEyes was born from two big ideas: the power to see things not ordinarily possible and the ability to collect insights from a multitude of vantage points. As organizations rely more on cloud services and the Internet, the network has become a black box they can't understand. Our Internet and cloud intelligence platform delivers the only collectively powered view of the Internet, cloud and SaaS platforms, helping enterprises and service providers work together to identify problems before it impacts revenue, damages brand reputation, or halts employee productivity.
In August 2020, Cisco Systems completed the acquisition of ThousandEyes, which now forms the ThousandEyes Business Unit within Cisco’s Network Services Business Group, and is a foundational component of Cisco’s growing Observability business.
About the Role
This is a regional role where you would be working standard working daytime hours, but the job would be performed over the weekend. You would be working 5 days a week of which Friday, Saturday and Sunday would be a part of it. The other two days would either be Wednesday and Thursday or Monday and Tuesday. We will build teams in Austin Texas, Mexico City Mexico, Krakow Poland and Sydney Australia to ensure we have 24x7 coverage. This is a great opportunity for engineers who want to be part of the number #1 Great Place to Work and an awesome Saas technology like ThousandEyes.
If you enjoy a variety in job responsibilities, this is the job for you. A day may involve helping a customer identify network loss in an undersea cable, diagnose the cause of a route leak impacting significant portions of internet traffic, scripting an approach to monitoring a website's login flow, spinning up a lab environment to reproduce a strange set of behaviors seen in a customer's environment, saving a company hours of bridge time during a significant outage impacting their infrastructure by finding the smoking-gun in a network outage, or simply helping someone understand the way that our applications work. The job is highly variable and requires both the ability to make data-driven decisions, and draw conclusions based on incomplete information. We're looking for out-of-the-box thinkers who can complement and extend the already formidable talents of our Customer Enablement organization.
- A standout "customer first" attitude
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent working experience
- At least 1 year working in a customer-facing role
- Firm grasp of network and application protocols (Cisco/Juniper certification strongly preferred - CCNA/DEVNET/JNCP, etc. )
- Experience with Cloud/SaaS software products is highly desirable.
- Familiar with core networking principles - TCP/IP, DNS, web technologies, proxies and voice over IP
- Working knowledge of virtualization technology - containers, virtualBox, VMware, HyperV, Xen
- Working knowledge in security - authentication, permissions, SSO
- Knowledge of one computer languages and programming (Java, Python, XML, RESTAPI) frameworks desirable
- Experience with the administration of Linux based Operations Systems a plus
- Experience in technical writing is a plus
- Ability to prioritize & complete tasks in a timely fashion.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely to technical and non-technical users
- Proven troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Timely interaction with customers and internal teams requesting support via online-chat, email and phone.
- Take ownership of technical issues, working with cross-functional teams to document problem definition, troubleshooting procedures, and resolution steps
- Take ownership of customer support forum and keep information current on best practices with ThousandEyes
- Active participation in 24x7 Support Coverage model
- Identify process & workflows ripe for improvement or automation
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We Are Cisco
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference. Here’s how we do it.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (30 years strong!) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. An AI/Machine Learning company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, we give our egos a break and we give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, we take bold steps, and we take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a commitment to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool.